Logic 7 versus DPL-II : How do they differ? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Sep 23, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I have been waiting for the release of the Outlaw 950, which has DPL-II but now have an opportunity to buy a Lexicon DC-1 with Logic 7 at a very good deal. If we just consider the Logic 7 format versus the DPL-II format, which is better for HT playback of stereo and DPL encoded discs. Which is better for playback of stereo CDs?
    Which would you prefer and why?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

2. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

They both attempt to do the same thing, but the primary difference is that Logic7 can be be scaled to use 7 channels while DPLII can only do 5. That's the major difference. I truly feel that Dolby should have made DPLII scalable to 7 channels(they probably will do so at some point anyway, for marketing reasons) to compete with the likes of Logic7 or Meridian's TriField.
    Also, make sure that that DC-1 has the most current version of Logic7....although it WON'T have the "new and imroved" version of the MC-12.

3. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Another distinct difference in logic 7 and DPL II is that L7 is designed to operate with discrete 5.1 sources, as well as matrixed sources. That's across the board from the DC-1, DC-2, MC-1, to MC-12.
    Pitfalls of the DC-1 is it's an aging chassis with limited support from Lexicon at this point. Don't expect the see the bells and whistles made available for eprom upgrades of the units above it. Also, 2 channel performance is not on par with the MC-1. DC-2 is probably closer to the DC-1 in that regard than the MC-1.
    No comment in comparison to the Outlaw. The DC-1 is an admirable performer, and certainly gives you a lot of flexibility, as remember, it used to be the flagship at one time. That day has come and gone though.
    Lex
    ------------------
    Lexman's Theater

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I can't remember where (maybe AVS Forum?), but I recall Jim Fosgate saying that DPL2 has been specced out for 7 channel and no one has implemented it as of yet. So perhaps in the future, we'll see that happen.
    As for DPL2 vs. L7, I've heard both... and I preferred DPL2. Logic 7's placement of sounds sounded too artificial in comparison to DPL2's natural smooth transitions and placement between channels. But hey, that's just my opinion...

5. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

"DC-2 is probably closer to the DC-1 in that regard than the MC-1"
    The DC-2 and MC-1 are sonically identical.