Logic 7 on H/K 8000 a possible oversight (mistake) ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Nov 7, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I was just reading through the avr8000 manual and it states in NUMEROUS sections that the 8000 doesnt do logic 7 on digital sources. How could they have made that many mistakes in the manual ?

I have a theory that maybe H/K engineers didnt realize that logic 7 could be used on digital sources untill it was too late. Its interesting that the 525 doesnt do it. I will be curious to see if the upcoming 7200 does it. If it doesnt then maybe the 8000s ability to do logic 7 on digital sources was just an oversight ??

2. Svapan

Svapan Auditioning

3. John Tompkins

Yes, but I wonder if it was done intentionally or it was maybe an oversight by H/K. Wouldnt H/K want to advertise the fact that the avr 8000 does logic 7 on digital sources ? it seems like they want to cover up the fact that it does it and certainly arent advertising it. Thats why Im thinking that maybe it was an oversight by H/K and they didnt realize untill the unit was shipping that in fact you could hit the logic 7 button after a digital source was put in. I guess we will find out if the next flagship comes out and doesnt apply logic 7 to digital sources ?

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

When this was first noted on here, the techs at HK said it does not apply L7 to 5.1...

... but then again, the readout states "Dolby Digital Logic 7" when applied.

Now SOMEONE programmed that in to the processor... it didn't make that up.

My theory... the builders, developers, marketers, did not communicate what was to occur. It may have been one of the great easter eggs in receiver history...

...or a fubar in communicating to the marketers.

5. John Tompkins

Steve,

You make a good point about the display reading "dolby digital logic 7"....

Though H/K could have easily put it on the 525 or 7200 for pratically no further costs, The fact that they didnt leads me to believe that we will not see another H/K reciever with the ability to lay logic 7 on digital sources..Just speculation on my part....The avr8000 may just be that easter egg you speak of

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Why not?

7. John Tompkins

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Why not have L7 [not the band!] applied to the digital sources?

Thanks for answering my glib question though John.

9. John Tompkins

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I think the jury is still out on the 7200. There was at least 1 person about who had an actual picture of a 7200 display with L7 overlayed on a 5.1 DD (or DTS) source.

11. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

12. Greg Hamilton

Greg Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

The only reason the AVR8000 is capable of apply L7 over 5.1 sources is due to the dual processors implementation. The 7200, 525, 520 etc.. don't have the processing power that the AVR8000 has. This was info I'd received from H/K when the AVR8000 first came out. Given the current processor specs of the 7200 & 525, I would say that they cannot apply L7 over 5.1 sources. On the other hand, the pics of the 7200 (check out H/K's new site) clearly show L7 being applied over a 5.1 DVD Coax source (interesting is that it's not a DD or DTS signal though). We'll have to see. -gh

AVR8000 - Dual, 24bit, twin-core Crystal DSP engine
    AVR7200 - 24bit, twin-core Cirrus DSP engine
    AVR525 - 24bit, twin-core Crystal DSP engine
    DPR 1001 - Advanced, 24bit, twin-core Crystal DSP engine

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I think this is the picture:
    [​IMG]
    It's actually on Harman Kardon's new site (they just went through a site redesign).
    http://www.harmankardon.com/large.as...at=REC&sType=C
    If that picture isn't a mockup, it's showing 5.1 digital sound coming in through digital coax, processed by Logic 7 Cinema with 7 channels attached.

14. Greg Hamilton

Greg Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Gabriel, also notice that DTS nor DD signal are not lit up. What kind of source other than DTS or DD has 5.1 coming from a DVD through Coax digital? I don't know.. When I apply L7 over 5.1 (DD or DTS) both lights are lit (ie: DD and L7) on the AVR8000. Suspect.. -gh

15. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Greg,

True enough. Just checked my AVR8000; it's just like yours.

16. Gregory Scott Bass

Gregory Scott Bass Stunt Coordinator

interesting...that is truly odd that the dd light is not on, the speaker graphic shows clearly that the unit is receiving 5.1 channels of info....hmmm the first defective 7200 [​IMG] if you think about it,the light has to be burnt out.