What's new

Logic 7 audio is like a Director Cut's Pan & Scan video? (1 Viewer)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
BruceD, I agree with your statements, sound quality is the most important thing for me as well. The point I was making was...if back processing wasnt needed or wanted by the user, that would open up the door to alot of great 5.1 processors on the used market.
Are we saying that the 950 would be as good at 5.1 as say the Meridian, EAD and others that are known to be truly high-end units ?
The 950 legend continues to grow:) Seriously, The expectations are so high, I fear that some are going to be let down. You know its like when you hear reviews of a movie thats supposed to be awesome, Your expectations are so high going in, that when you finally see the movie, its disappointing.
Sorry for the intrusion..back to the logic7=p/s discussion
Which by the way is a welcomed change of topic for awhile.
;)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
John said:
John
Good point! That's exactly what happened to me with the movie, Forest Gump. My friends praised it so highly that there is no way it could live up to the hype. Had I not listened to them but gone in cold I probably would have loved it. As it was, I liked it, but not overwhelmingly.
At least this time, I'm the one praising, so I won't be disappointed.
;)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
RAF,

Do you watch TV/DSS some hours per week? If so, what sound mode do you use (for non 5.1 DSS broadcasts)? Stereo?

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Very interesting topic. :)
Ah, I see what John Morris' complaint is against Blockbuster. He's mad because BB is pressuring the
studios to release DVD's with P&S on one side and widescreen on the other side of the DVD. This means
that the DVD doesn't have one side with the widescreen movie on it and the other side free to contain
a ton of extras. Instead it's used up by the P&S version of the movie. Personally, I don't care
much about extras, other than maybe some nice photos of the characters in various scenes from the
movie and, of course, cool navigation menus with animations/music appropriate for the movie. And
that stuff can usually fit on the same side as the movie no problem. The main thing I want from
a DVD is for the movie itself to eat up as much space as needed to give me the best picture
and sound quality that the format can support. Extras come in a very distant second.
Once higher density DVD players come out this problem will be largely solved, as there will be
enough space to hold the widescreen and many extras on one side and the P&S on the other side. :)

Larry B

Screenwriter
Merc:
As others have alluded to, your analogy is flawed. Since P&S deletes information, an appropriate audio analogy might be turning off one (or more) channels. My guess is that you would be hard pressed to find someone who does that, irrespective of whether they consider themselves to be purists.
Larry

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Do you watch TV/DSS some hours per week? If so, what sound mode do you use (for non 5.1 DSS broadcasts)? Stereo?
Ricky,
Good question. I've played with a lot of the 950's settings when watching TV and my current favorite is 5 STEREO. It gives me the most satisfying sound when I'm watching regular TV. Nothing scientific about this - just my own personal preference. 7 STEREO was too "enveloping" for my tastes and regular 2 channel STEREO seems a bit too distant. 4 STEREO moved everything a bit closer to me.
Like I said, a personal choice, and maybe not shared by others. However, when I'm watching stuff over my Dish network that is in DD then I use the appropriate mode for that. Lots of the HD stuff is in DD 5.1 and it sounds fine when true surround audio is being broadcast.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The whole idea is to recreate a sense of a MUCH larger sonic environment. The last thing you want to do is try to have your HT room setup like a room 20-30x larger.

The video *doubler/scaler* is a great example. I would consider logic7 to work on audio the way the video enchancer works on the video. If someone plays the *purist* card over logic7...the same arguement would HAVE to apply to any method of enhancing video that adds anything to the original encoded source.

Do you set a delay on any of the channels?...same example. Taken to a silly-extreme...you have just altered the source material right?

TV

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
At least you have a choice and can turn off Logic 7(or any DSP "enhancement") whereas I have no choice of widescreen with BB's Pan and Scam DVD rentals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks