What's new

Logan's Run MPAA Rating (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
About the Watership Down DVD rating- I haven't looked at the disc, but on the disc label for "Iron Giant" they accidentally printed G on it when it was rated PG.

I don't think Logan's Run was bad enough to be rated R, it probably would have been PG-13 if that rating had existed.

Some of the early G-rated movies are questionable; "Planet of the Apes" has some brief shots of naked guys but it's rated G and Airport is pretty violent for a G-rated movie, as is 2001.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Frank Zappa made a nice sticker for his records in response to the antics of the PMRC:

(spoilerized for those who may be offended)

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Yeah, kids these days don't have any morals.. The movies have warped their fragile little minds. I disagree that the MPAA accepts violence, just look at martial art movies like Fist of Legend. There's no cussing or sex or nudity in FOL and they still rate it R. Yea it looks like everyone's messed up.

Why the heck is Iron Giant rated PG anyway? All animated PG movies have been indistinguishable from G rates to me.

So who here can say when they were 13 could take penis and boob shots like a cup of tea?

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i mean, why is matrix r when it should be pg13 and also odd couple 1 should be pg for language.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, kids these days don't have any morals.. The movies have warped their fragile little minds. I disagree that the MPAA accepts violence, just look at martial art movies like Fist of Legend. There's no cussing or sex or nudity in FOL and they still rate it R. Yea it looks like everyone's messed up.

Why the heck is Iron Giant rated PG anyway? All animated PG movies have been indistinguishable from G rates to me.

------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody has said that kids don't have any morals or that movies are warping their fragile little minds. I just pointed out that originally "Watership Down" came out with a PG rating. At the time somebody must have decided that some of the imagery in that film might have upset younger viewers. Nowadays, obviously, Warners must think that that same imagery would no longer cause a problem with younger viewers so they have put a G rating on the DVD. Looking at the cover art Warners wants to position "Watership Down" as a Disney style family film with a target audience of eight. I do not think that "Watership Down" is the type of movie that Warner seems to be portraying it as.

As to the "Iron Giant", I believe this got a PG rating to try and prevent it from suffering a death knell that a G rating seems result in, regardless of the quality of the movie.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Ok.. So what about Jaws then?
Lets count along shall we? 2 disembodied limbs (one leg, one arm). One scean of nudity (swimming at the beggining). One scene with drug use (again at the beginning). Alcohol consumption (At least twice), Few instances of "sailors prayers", I believe four onscreen deaths, one body from an offscreen death, and one missing and presumed eaten dog.
How in the heck did this movie get a PG rating? Did Spielberg bribe somebody? With these numbers I'm sure you'd get an NC-17 today.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'd much rather my kids (if I had any) see some T&A than violence or drug use.
Fact is, I HOPE my would-be children get to experience the finer "aspects" of quality, real-life T&A in their lives, whereas violence and drugs are much less productive... as most people here will no doubt agree. :) The concept that nudity is "wrong" or "vulgar" is almost a wholey American view point, and is probably the reason why we're raising generation after generation of infantile "bottle feeders" who are embarassed about their bodies and sexuality. The idea that something you're carrying around in your shorts (or panties), irregardless of the fact that (almost) everyone has one type or the other, is evil or wrong is repulsive. At most, nudity should only garner a PG rating... period. Same thing goes for most sexual situations of a non-violent nature. How the hell are we ever going to mature as a society when the greatest beauty and pleasure in life is systematically vilified?
Damn, overall, we're spaceage technology junkies with Victorian era morals and 2000+ year-old insecurities. It's pathetic. :rolleyes

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
with jaws. there is no nudity since you can either only see her back or she has a top on but it is very hard to see.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Matrix should be rated PG-13!!!?? Give me a break. The lobby shootout scene alone would never get a PG-13.

Tim Bagby

Auditioning
AMEN Jerry!!!! we as a country (and culture) will never grow, if we are afraid of the human form. when will we learn that there is nothing wronge with viewing a naked body? (i for one have no problem with it, hell i have a naked body myself) it's just the minority talking for the majority. unfortunately, the minority has "god" behind them..........but while i'm at it let me say that i can see i'f they wanted to rate sex scenes, with nudity, "pg-13". i wouldn't want to watch one with my niece......

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
are there anyother movies that are not rated or that deserve a rating change. Raiders should be pg13 because of the gore.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Temple of Doom" inspired the need for the PG-13 rating, since many complained it was too intense for a PG movie but not 'bad' enough for an R.

"The Iron Giant" is rated PG because of the war elements- the air-raid scene is pretty intense. (I thought "Hunchback of Notre Dame" should have been PG, but that got a G!)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I seem to remember Kenneth Branaugh's film of "Much Ado About Nothing" having frontal nudity in it even though it was rated PG-13.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
why is halloween r. i mean show no nudity or lower the blood and you get a pg13 movie just like that

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
alright to bring more contaversy in. On sunday the sifi channel will show this movie in widescreen at 2:00pm et. IT will last 2 hours and 30 min. Will the nude scenes be cut out.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
They might do what they did when they showed the abyss uncut. During the scene where they are giving CPR to M.E.M, you can see her breasts. This is a pretty crucial scene that couldnt be cut, so they put in some water droplets on the camera lense to obscure the nipples.

Brian

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Finding faults with MPAA ratings is so easy it isn't even fun. At best, it's a completely arbitrary system headed by someone who is no stranger to lunacy.

-Dave

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i think they should make it mandatory for all films small or big, to be re evaluated from 1927 with the jazz singer (either a G or PG due to child abuse) up untill the movie that came out before temple of doom since we all here can argue that many films dont fit there rating

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks