What's new

Loew's Jersey - Dynamic Duos Weekend! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The Loew's Jersey is pleased to announce our next classic film event - the Dynamic Duos weekend, celebrating three great teams on the big screen.
On Friday, November 22nd at 7:30, we present two classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries. In THE SCARLET CLAW (1944), Holmes and Watson travel to Canada to solve a series of grisly murders where the victims have had their throats ripped out. This film is considered the very best of the Universal/Holmes mysteries. Our second feature is THE PEARL OF DEATH (1944), with Holmes on the trail of the cursed Borgia Pearl, and nearly meeting his demise at the hands of The Creeper, a horribly disfigured homicidal maniac.
These two classic features have not looked this good in nearly 60 years. Recently restored from deteriorating nitrate film elements by the UCLA Film Archive, the Loew's Jersey is pleased to present the New York area premiere of these beautiful 35mm restorations.
On November 23rd at 2:00, we present the perennial Laurel and Hardy holiday favorite BABES IN TOYLAND (aka MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS - 1934.) Stanley Dum and Ollie Dee save Toyland from the evil Silas Barnaby (and the hideous bogeymen) in Victor Herbert's timeless classic. We will be presenting the original, un-cut black and white version.
On November 23rd at 7:30, we proudly pay tribute to Dean Martin and (New Jersey's own) Jerry Lewis. First teaming in 1946 at Atlantic City's 500 Club, this great duo rose to the very top of the entertainment industry. By the time they went their separate ways in 1956, they had become one of the most successful comedy teams of all time - conquering movies, television, radio, nightclubs, theatres and concert halls.
Our feature presentation is ARTISTS AND MODELS (1955) which is considered to be one of their very best as a team. Directed by former animation director Frank Tashlin, Dean and Jerry are transformed into living cartoons in this wild film which features some of the most outrageous sight gags of the 1950's. We are pleased to present an original 35mm dye-transfer Technicolor print, which showcases some of the most saturated comic-book-color cinematography from that era. It will look absolutely stunning with authentic carbon arc illumination on our huge 50-foot screen.
This special tribute will also include original 1951 newsreel footage (unseen in over 50 years) of Martin and Lewis performing in a Hollywood nightclub. Many feel that Dean and Jerry were at their very best in front of a live audience, and this rare footage perfectly captures the spontaneity and manic energy of this great team. Plus, we will have unique memorabilia on display in the Grand Lobby, including original movie posters and collectibles.
The Loew's Jersey opened its solid brass doors in 1929 as the "most lavish temple of entertainment in New Jersey." Once slated for demolition, it stands today as one of the finest surviving movie palaces in the Tri-State area. Currently undergoing restoration, the Loew's Jersey is strongly committed to the serious presentation of motion picture film, and is the only theatre in the Metropolitan Area presenting 35mm prints of classic films with authentic carbon arc illumination.
The Loew's Jersey is located on Journal Square in Jersey City. We are directly across the street from the Path Transportation Center, and convenient bus and train service is available from mid-town Manhattan. The theatre is just minutes from the Holland/Lincoln Tunnels, George Washington Bridge and New Jersey Turnpike. Ample parking is available in the lot directly behind the theatre. For more information and detailed directions, please visit our website at www.loewsjersey.org or call 201-798-6055.
Don't miss this unique opportunity to experience classic films in the way they were meant to be seen - in the glory of 35mm on the big screen in a magnificent theatre. Bring your friends, bring your family and enjoy the "Movie Palace Experience" at the fabulous Loew's Jersey!

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Hmm, the Sherlock Holmes mysteries may get me in there, if I don't have any other plans then (it's getting close to Thanksgiving). I saw It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World there for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great atmosphere, even if the sound is a little echoey through the theatre. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There are some updates to our Loew's Jersey Dynamic Duos weekend.
Due to a scheduling conflict, the screening of Laurel and Hardy's BABES IN TOYLAND has been changed to Sunday, November 24th at 2 PM. I apologize for the change and inconvenience.
Unfortunately, we are unable to locate a 35mm print of the original MGM version. We will be presenting this feature with an excellent 16mm copy which was reduction printed from the original un-cut nitrate fine grains. I've seen this print, and the quality is outstanding. The image on our screen will be the same size as our normal 1.37 35mm presentations, and it will be projected with xenon light. You won't be disappointed!
For additional information on our restored 35mm Sherlock Holmes double-feature, or Martin and Lewis tribute, please visit our website at www.loewsjersey.org
Bob Furmanek
Director of Film Programming
Loew's Jersey Theater

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There are some new additions to our film programs this weekend. On Saturday November 23rd, we've added the 1945 Warner Bros. cartoon NASTY QUACKS to our Martin and Lewis screening. This classic Daffy Duck cartoon was directed by Frank Tashlin.

I'm proud to announce that Governor James E. McGreevey has declared November 23rd and 24th MARTIN AND LEWIS WEEKEND in the state of New Jersey! This official proclamation will be on display at the theatre with the Dean and Jerry memorabilia.

Also, the Sherlock Holmes double-feature will start at 8:00 on Friday evening.

Bob Furmanek

GregK

Screenwriter
Hmmm... Any chance of seeing M&L's "Money from Home" in 3-D?
(I've heard the original three-strip Technicolor 3-D prints were junked!!) :eek:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Greg:

I think you'll see MONEY FROM HOME in 3D sometime next year. The Loew's is planning to run dual-strip polarized 3D films starting next spring. I saw a 35mm print of MONEY FROM HOME at New York's Film Forum a few years ago and the 3D is very good.

Bob can expand on this when he checks back in...

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We've got lots of 3-D rarities planned for the Loew's Jersey next year. We're hoping to have the first all 3-D weekend in April. However, there are still a few technical bugs that have to be worked out in the booth. I'll keep you posted...

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks