Loews Cineplex and AMC to merge

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Reuben, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Don't like this much at all - that puts pretty much all of the first-run/non-boutique screens in the Boston area under the control of one company, with the Boston Common and Fenway theaters being pretty close to each other.

Also, it looks like AMC will be in charge, which could be good or bad. I'd miss the demise of the Weekday Escape ticket something fierce, and Fandango is something like twenty times more user-friendly than MovieTickets.com. But, if it meant the end of "no matinee prices after 2pm Saturday/Sunday" and being able to use the MovieWatcher card at more places, that's something.

Still, one company becoming a de facto monopoly in this area doesn't strike me as a Good Thing.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    We'll be watching to see what properties they have to divest in order to pass government inspection of the deal. Expect a number of locations under either name to change hands into another operator.

4. Michael Reuben

That's exactly what happened in NYC when Loews acquired Cineplex Odeon. The deal couldn't clear the regulators until a number of theaters were bought by Clearview Cinemas.

In Manhattan, there's only one AMC complex, but it's directly across the street from a giant Loews complex. One of them will have to go to someone else, and I'm not sure who it will be. Clearview is looking to get out of the movie business, not further in. (It would be pretty funny if the only taker turned out to be Regal. )

M.

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Next they will have a cooperation with Bose to retrofit the speakers in all the theaters [​IMG]

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Why is this? Some law/regulation or simply business practice?

Ewalk is the obvious choice to be pawned off methinks.

Also, I would say that it is the Loews that is accross from a giant AMC complex [​IMG].

--
    H

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

The Feds may decide that owning two facilities in one area constitutes an unfair monopoly, see Michael's post above about the previous Loews/Cineplex merger. From a business sense, they'd probably like to keep both houses, that way they could book them together - i.e. War of the Worlds could be at 5 screens at the Empire and 4 screens at the E-Walk at the same time, this can't happen currently. If they had to sell off one, the Empire would likely go as I believe it's a more costly operation.

8. Michael Reuben

For that reason, it might not fetch as good a price. Also, it's AMC's flagship presence here, and since AMC is clearly the dominant partner in this merger, they may want to hold onto it.

To answer Holadem's question: This merger requires approval from the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC can set conditions on approval of the merger. Divestiture to maintain competition (or at least a semblance of it) is pretty routine.

M.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I think it would be good, since I've never been impressed by Lowes.

Course, now it means fewer companies. Most of the ones around me are either Regal or National Amusements.

Jason

10. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I think this is a good thing. The AMCs I've been in have been very nice theaters with comparatively high presenation values. Where I used to live, Loews had the biggest and nicest theater, but the presentation quality tended to suck.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

To add a little twist to the story Cineplex bought Famous Players in Canada last week!

Now that's a big company.

Brent

12. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

Yeah, but Loew's E-Walk opened first. [​IMG]

I haven't been to either theater in about 2 years. Is the NYC AMC STILL as confusing to navigate as it was when it "partially" opened?

13. Michael Reuben

It probably would be for a first-time visitor. I've been there often enough to know the layout.

In my experience, the chain that owns the theater isn't nearly as important as the quality of the management at each facility. I've been to both the AMC and E-Walk many times, and the AMC has been a consistently better experience.

M.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Empire is definitely the better theater. Velvetty, cozier. And much larger with 25 theaters.

Ewalk is great but it's got this relatively sterile feel IMO. Still world class though.

Off topic but is there a website that lists screen sizes? I was dissapointed by the Ziegfeld's.

--
    H

15. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

THANK YOU! I feel the same way about the Ziegfeld (and the now-closed Loew's Astor Plaza). I haven't been to the Ziegfeld since "SW:TPM," back when they were experimenting with the "reserved seating" debacle. I used to be under the impression that the screen was enormous. I could swear that there are comparably-sized screens at the newer multiplexes on 42nd St, and the seats are more comfortable.

I have a friend who gets physically shaken when the summer blockbuster he wants to see doesn't play at the Ziegfeld.

I've explained a hundred times that theater chains bid for the films they show (I don't know if that's actually true, but it sounds reasonable to me), but he doesn't get the point (of course, this is the same guy who years ago couldn't understand why ABC and NBC pitted "Home Improvement" and "Frasier against each other in the same time slot when "the networks must KNOW there are a lot of people who like BOTH shows").

This argument gets deeper and more heated for him when some drama he doesn't want to see debuts at the Ziegfeld while the latest Star Trek incarnation is relegated to the multiplexes.

Sorry to further dilute the subject of this thread, it's just that the name "Ziegfeld" sets me off. I'm glad to see there's at least one person out there who doesn't find that place to be the "ultimate" NYC theater experiece.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Me too, but I just LOVE movie theaters and could go on and on about them forever :b.

--
    H

17. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

I thought everyone knew what an ewalk was.

[​IMG]

Oh, wait, my bad.

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

They will probably be merging their preshow commercials...so now they will air 20 minutes worth of commericals before a movie. [​IMG]

19. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

The Ziegfeld is the only classic movie palace left in the NYC area.

And by far offers up one of the best presentations (visual & audio wise) in the city.

AMC Empire offers a very good experience as does the E-walk.

If they are forced to let one go, it certainly will be the E-Walk as the Empire does over 20 million in Box Office a year. It is clearly the more profitable.

As for film selection at the Zieg.... That location is owner by Clearview. In the NYC area, certain exhibition companied have alliances with certain studios.... The Zieg plays Disney /Paramount/Fox most of the time...

Dugger

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

We already have that. Here Regal owns Edwards and UA, meaning that they control about 85% of the local market. In front of EVERY SINGLE movie at a Regal is a piece of tripe called "The 20", which is basically a 20 minute block of advertising before the show.

And they have the gall to say, "If you missed any of The 20, get to the theater earlier next time." (I'm paraphrasing... slightly). [​IMG]