What's new

Loewe vs. DLP (1 Viewer)

BrentCelmins

Auditioning
So I'm putting my feelers out there for a sweet TV and went to the uber-high end store in Phoenix (Sounds Like Music) and also purused the selection at the nearby Ultimate Electronics.

After consulting with the guys at either store, I came down to the choice between the 38" Loewe Aconda or the 43" Samsung DLP.

Now from what I understand, the Aconda is the fully-loaded Ferarri of televisions. Of course, this begs the question, do I really need the fully-loaded Ferarri of televisions and the answer is well, I don't know. Running a cool $4000 without the "piano black" finish (the hell do I care what my television looks like on the outside? The answer is none, I just want the sweet picture).

The Samsung can be tracked down for under $3000 in some places, and I could likely spend the extra thou on a smokin' new processor if I so desired (not to mention a progressive scan DVD player, which I once had with my Malata N996, but that has since kuputted on me).

Or, I could just keep the thou, keep my 5-year old Kenwood processor that still works fine (likely) and feel cheery that I saved that K. But then there's that Loewe.

Now 38" is about exactly right for my needs insomuch as living space and 4:3 viewing habits (lots of non-HD based sports programming as well as lots of classic movies and television shows that are not 16:9). In 4:3 mode the Loewe measures in at 32", which is the size of my current Sony Trinitron (delightful TV, that Trinitron), and the thing that was keeping me from going 34" CRT (a la Sony) was the 4:3 mode size it came in at (under 30" if memory serves).

43" is running a shade on the big side, but between the $$ is saves me, the fact that it's 150 lbs lighter, and that it's still quite a fine television gives me pause. But the guy pushing the Loewe was very proud of that television. And so was the guy pushing the DLP. I was told, all in all, that it was a no lose situation.

So, input...

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Well... Loewe has an excellent reputation, and that particular CRT direct view would be the holy grail for many.... If you like the DLP sets I will cloud your decision further, Loewe now sells a DLP.

EricBenson

Auditioning
I just bought the Loewe a few weeks ago after agonizing over this very question. There were several reasons I went with Loewe.
1) The price difference wasn't what you're looking at -- they were about the same price (actually the DLP was a bit more money than the Loewe)
2) I liked the picture quality better with all input sources. The salesman I worked with showed me everything from DVD - HD broadcast - normal ntsc broadcast over standard cable feed - VHS (with tapes I brought from home) and I thought the Loewe was superior with every source.
3) I don't like the idea of having to spend several hundered dollars ever 5 years replacing a dang bulb. I know this sounds trivial and the upside of 'refreshing' the set every 5 years is nice, but it just irked the heck out of me.
4) I'm planning on having this TV for 10+ years. I'm more comfortable with tube technology for that time period than with DLP. At the end of that time, I suspect television technology will be somewhat sorted out and maybe DLP (or some fantastic new technology) will be an option. At this point in time, tube technology is proven.
5) The size of the Loewe was perfect for my viewing space. The Samsung 43" is very similar in size overall, but I was afraid the extra picture size would make it seem too big.
6) My kids tend to watch from about 6 feet away from the screen. I thought the Samsung looked grainy from that distance, while the Loewe looked great.

There certainly benefits to the Samsung, chief of which is its inputs -- supports 3 component in and has DVI, while the Loewe only has one component in (not counting the VGA plug) and doesn't do DVI. Also, fading over time is a given with a tube TV (although my 10 year old Hitachi still looks great). Finally, there is a 155 pound difference in weight -- the Samsung would certainly be easier to move if necessary.

All things considered, I'm still very happy with my choice. Every time I watch a movie I am absolutly stunned at the picture.

The good news is you can't go to wrong either way.

Good Luck!

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
The Loewe is an excellent display, but the image size may leave you wanting more depending on your seating distance.

James

BrentCelmins

Auditioning
Hey Eric,

Where did you find the Loewe for the same price as the Samsung? I've seen the Samsung for $3150 and less (I've seen a few for about $2800), but the Loewe I'm finding at about $4000-4500 depending on the store. If you could let me in on where I could score the Aconda for the same price as the Samsung, I'd get the Loewe in a millisecond.

EricBenson

Auditioning
I live in Spokane Washington. Got mine at our local Magnolia A/V. Wonderful place to do business BTW -- great, knowledgable sales staff, not pushy, etc. I've bought all my HT stuff there. Anyway, they have a killer deal on the Loewe Aconda 38 (9383). All they have is the silver version, so if you're looking for the piano black, you're out of luck. Currently selling for a shade under 3K. Best price I saw locally on the Samsung was around $3300.

Good luck!

Darren_C

Agent
If someone has a moment to answer some questions please, I'd appreciate it:)

Is the 9383 a current model?

If not, is Loewe a stable company that would likely be able to provide parts and repairs for many years?

What are the most typical user complaints with the 9383?

I had been looking at the Samsung 43" DLP, but found I greatly preferred the overall picture quality from the Panasonic 42" and 37" EDTV Plasma. The 9383 might be an option for me also, as it appears to fit my stand nicely and will be a great alternative for widescreen compared to a Toshiba 36" HDTV.

I've read the reviews from Perfect Vision and SGHT. Both were very favorable. The main minuses they mention are the lack of a second component input, lack of DVI-HDCP and the lack of 720p input (not a big factor for me). Even so, in case they don't have a demo on their floor, I'd like to know any other drawbacks. Links to user comment threads or other useful information also appreciated!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Loewe is one of the oldest manufacturers of consumer displays; it has been around since the 1930s.

As for user complaints, they are few and far between. The company makes dead-reliable products. However, one HTF member reported an anomoly on the screen of his Aconda 38, apparently to do with an internal bonding agent. He doesn't know for sure how the blemishes got there (as I recall, he suspected the cleaning lady). This, however, is just about the only complaint I've heard about regarding a Loewe display.

I've never read a bad review of a Loewe — only raves.

Darren_C

Agent
Thank you-

Hopefully they will be around for another 70 years, but you never know with consumer electronics companies... I'm more interested in parts and repair issues, especially if it is a discontinued model.

I saw two in the showroom today. It was a no-brainer at $3250 including tax, delivery, setup and moving our 32" upstairs. A bit more than I wanted to spend on a direct view, but I think it will be worth it. Apparently, the new "Basalt" color of the 9383 includes a Component-to-VGA converter that allows you to effectively have 2 component inputs. They were not sure if the Piano Black model included that in the box, but agreed to supply one if it didn't.

Based on my measurements, it will fit almost perfectly on my gloss black stand and should look great. I would still appreciate any other comments from other owners before the item is delivered Tuesday:)

I'm also curious if anyone knows if the new "Basalt" 9383B is any different internally than the discontinued "Piano Black" 9383PB. They had both on display, but not with the same inputs for direct comparison:-( The Basalt was selling for $1000 more than the Piano Black.

In the showroom, the set looked spectacular. It was also about the best I've seen for displaying standard definition cable. They had OTA broadcasts of the local networks, and they were actually viewable. Not quite as nice as on a SD set, but much nicer than any of the DLP, LCD or ED Plasmas I've seen. The 2 year warranty and 30-day no restocking fee return policy clinched the deal...

Finally, can someone point me to a good thread or link about the need for DVI-HDCP or HDMI inputs? Do you really need them, or will component outputs always be an option from a cable set top box? I know the quality may be somewhat improved, but that isn't a concern as long as component outputs won't be disable in the future for some reason...

Dan.F

Auditioning
OK...so I hadn't considered Loewe before but now I'm enticed.
Does anyone know whether Loewe manufactures a model greater than 38"?

EricBenson

Auditioning
Not in a Direct View. They have projection and plasma models that go larger. I think they're coming out soon with a DLP model (may already be available).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks