Loewe, Marantz and problems!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Paul_L_G, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Paul_L_G

Paul_L_G Auditioning

Hi guys,
    Well, this is my first post, be kind!

I've just bought a Marantz 4200 DVD player, and was about to hook it up to my Calinda TV player with a Neotech S-Video to Scart cable when I stumbled across this review.

Review is 1 year old so problem might be fixed.

[Ed. There appears to be a specific issue with Loewe TVs and the Marantz DV-4200 (and for that matter the Marantz DV-3100) involving the S-Video output of this player. A distinct, coloured banding appears diagonally across the image when viewing PAL material via S-Video. This is variably distracting, and is most visible on cyan, with distinct green bands discolouring the image. This problem is not apparent via the composite video output or on other brands of TV. Loewe TV owners are advised to check this DVD player on their particular TV before committing to a purchase]

Has anyone had this problem recently, or has it been fixed? Will using the scart bypass this product? Should I be using a component instead of S-Video? How is component output different to composite? Do I need different cords? Will my Loewe support the component out put? Is the brand of cord important? was I ripped off paying $50 Aus for the cord? Which came first? The Chicken or the egg?

Thanks for your time guys, sorry for the lenght!

Paul

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Defintely try using component. S-vid and component are the same thing, but there is better isolation and separation with component. Component inputs are handled differently, particularly on an HDTV. The only way to get progressive scan with a progressive player, is to use component.

I'm assuming Calinda is a Loewe model? I've only ever seen the Aconda.

3. Paul_L_G

Paul_L_G Auditioning

Yeah, the Calinda is the model [​IMG] No probs on the progressive scan front, as Pal doesn't have it *mutters*

Paul

4. Paul_L_G

Paul_L_G Auditioning

Well, I think my solution will be to get a component to Scart cord. Sound about right?

Paul