Loewe Cable Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Davis, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Davis

Davis Agent

After waiting four months, the HD converter box from Time Warner came. I have a Loewe Calida.

Question 1

Is the correct cable (for HD cable box to Loewe Calida) a component to VGA cable? Bettercables has a silver serpent hd15 male/5 RCA, 6 meter breakout cable for $129.95. Is this all that's needed? Is a transcorder needed?

Question 2

Is separate cabling required for the non-HD channels? If so, what is recommended?

Any feedback on this, or other hook-up suggestions are much appreciated. I didn't realize how complicated this would be. TIA

2. Davis

Davis Agent

Heeeeelp.

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Cable hasn't made HD available yet in my area yet. But, it is on the horizon. Could be early next year. I also have a Loewe set. I would think it would have to be to the VGA connection of the Loewe. Otherwise the internal doubler would override the signal. And the connection probably won't recognized. I'm just guessing here. But, knowing how the Loewe works somewhat. It sounds right. I bought a VGA to VGA connector cable from BetterCables for a transcoder box I was using to bypass the internal doubler of the Loewe set. I wanted to use the progressive capability of my Sony ES9000 DVD player. So, if one is needed I should be ready for it. I would think that the cable company would include one with the box. But, a phone call to them would clear things up some. If the person you talk to has any experience. That's a big if I'm sure. [​IMG]
    Please follow up with how HD cable works and looks on the Loewe set.
    Good luck!

4. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Davis,

I too have an older Calida, and my understanding from this and boards as well as phone conversations with techs at Sensory Science that you will have to use a component to VGA cable as stated by Darrel. The component inputs on the Calida are not wideband, and thus can't be used with either an HD converter or progressive scan player, but I've never tried either, so I can't say 100% sure.

Please let us all know if the cable does it, or if you need some form of scaler to downconvert the 1080i HD signal from the Time Warner HD box into something recognizable (and scanable) by the Loewe. If it works for you I'll be next in line.

Good luck, and let us know. Thanks.

5. Davis

Davis Agent

Darrel, it looks like I need the transcoder.

However, it would surprise me if I'm the first on this board to hook a Calida to an HD cable converter box. It sure would be nice if someone who has already done this would give me a heads-up.

The dealer here says that Calida used to sell a cable for this, but that they no longer stock it.

Thanks (in advance).
    Davis

6. Darrel McBane

Give Brad at BetterCables a call. He is a great help and very accessible for information. I have the Aconda set and it uses a 9 pin VGA connection like the Calida set. It may come down to what configuration the HD receiver uses to send the signal. It's possible that a computer VGA to VGA cable would work just fine.

I'm not using the Audio Authority transcoder with the Loewe at this time. I got it just to see how well the Sony looked compared to the Loewe. I actually think the Loewe after accessing and adjusting the set with Avia and going into the sub menu looks as good as the Sony 9000.

7. Davis

Davis Agent

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for a couple of days. Here's what I've learned so far.

Checking at the store, the Aconda offers different set-up options than the Calida for 1080i. The Calida only offers set-up via the VGA connector for 1080i resolution (the Aconda offers a choice), perhaps the VGA connector is the only way to bypass the internal progressive scan?

Loewe used to sell a cable specifically for my purpose and the cable included the transcoder for around $160. They no longer sell this cable. The store put in a call to the Loewe Rep for his suggestion, and is waiting for a call back. I'll post his feedback.

8. Davis

Davis Agent

After waiting all this time, the local Loewe retailer has promised that he will give me a cable that he has been using in his display area. He purchased the cable from Loewe, back when they had the cables available.

If anybody here has been monitoring this thread, sorry I can't provide any more detail about the cable. All I know is that it is component connector to transcorder to VGA connector cable for the HD signal. A second S-Video cable will carry the Non-HD signals, and I will have to change the "input" setting to go between HD and Non-HD channels.

9. Darrel McBane

Sounds like a vote for local dealerships.

My remote went bad on my Loewe after only three months. I called the dealer who sold me the set and when I brought it into the store. He just gave me a new remote. A on-line store would probably only give me the Loewe 1-800 number if I told them my problem.

I hope the cable does the job.

10. Davis

Davis Agent

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.

The cable from the local dealer works fine. It uses a VGA connector and plugs into the RGA socket. I used the component out from the cable box to the transcoder, and the VGA from the transcoder to the TV.

There is a second S-Video cable from the cable box to the TV for Non-HD channels.

Other Loewe models are much easier to connect to HD, but the 'old' 4:3 Calida can only handle 1080i through the RGB socket.

If you own a Loewe and want to connect any device, it is as simple as going into the set-up menu, select inputs, and scroll through the input options until you see what you want... you are prompted through exactly which socket to use.

The HD picture is really spectacular.