Locked & Loaded on a Hitachi 46F500, Any Last Words?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kyle Tippett, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Kyle Tippett

Kyle Tippett Stunt Coordinator

I am finally ready to buy my new tv. It started a few months ago after i finnished my audio set-up, with a Samsung tantus neo 32" wide. It then moved to a 34" xbr, then the 40" xbr. i am now at the 46" Hitachi F500. Before i go to "interview" dealers, does anyone have any advice i should have first... mainly on if there is a better set for the money that is no larger than 46", with a DVI, and is a RP. Its the most cash i've laid out at once, besides cars, and i know that at le last moment i will be hesitant. i have looked up the 46" sony, but i read of a couple peopl who bought it and have wanted to trade it for the f500.

What i need:

Positive reinforcemnt, or constructive/comparative cricism. kepping in mind the money and features of the f500.

Please advise.

70% DVD
    20% VHS
    5% Games (will of course be sacrifieced for the RPTV)
    5% NTSC (no sat, no dig cable (yet)

P.S.:
    Any cable ideas? component for now, HD tuner comes later. looking at the monsters now, thx1000 (know thats not the correct model number, but you know what i mean) and the other top non-thx, non-refference from monster. i looked at the bettercable and wicked sites, but, call me materialistic, but i like something more flashy. any suggestions? try and keep it under or around $70/m

2. Kyle Tippett

oh yeh.. and im probably going either sunday or monday.. latest tues.

3. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

How much is the TV? I was pretty much in the same boat a little over a year ago. I started out wanting a 32-40 inch XBR but then wound up purchasing a 53 inch Hitachi. Price was the key factor although how I convinced myself to spend $2100 on a TV, I still can't figure that one out [​IMG]

Michael.

4. Kyle Tippett

$1699 retail.
    $1688 at local chain: P.C. Richard & Sons
    went in yesterday and, knowing i wast even buying that day, got him to drop $100 off the tag and then also throw in the factory stand (value: $199), i plan to use the stand until my real one comes, a Plateau XT. anyway, i am still going to shop stored within that chain, bringing the previous stores deal to the next place until i get it, hopefully, with the stand, tax included and with deliver for no more than 1500--1550. shouldnt be too hard since there are well over 5 stores in the area... oh, and the guys still work on commision.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

You might want to check out the new Toshiba 46H83 which should be shipping any time now, if not already. This year's Toshibas feature a brand-new chassis and a fairly significant upgrade in picture quality.

6. Kyle Tippett

i cant find it, but i need a table top style anyway, i need to put my components below, or buy all new video cables, which i cant afford... i only bought 1 meters.

7. Kyle Tippett

purchse time is actually probably around thursday.... checks gotta clear.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The Toshiba is a table-top design actually. A link to the spec sheet is below. The picture shows it with the matching stand, but you can see the dividing line on the left and right sides.

http://www.nbtelectronics.com/pdf/46h83sell.pdf

9. Kyle Tippett

ahh... i dont know why i asked to be shown this... i dont know what to do now... wher are they selling the toshiba? how much?

10. Kyle Tippett

its 700 more than the hitachi... i know it may be worth it, but thats another 2 weeks i have to wait. thanks though

11. Raney

Raney Auditioning

I relate to your agony. Shopping for a TV under 2000 on this board gets tough, because of PE (Picture envy) and the quest for the PERFECT screen gets a bit addictive. In the end, though, I just couldn't spend over about $1800, and I wound up going with the Hit 51f500 and I can tell you that once I obsessed over tweaking and checking it out against everything I learned here, I made a conscious decision to love it, and now I do!

My advice is: do some research, do some looking, and when you decide - get the TV and enjoy it. Shop for enjoyment, not perfection, and don't look back, cause the differences are may not be there until you start to hunt for them!

Have Fun!

12. Kyle Tippett

thank you... plus, i decided last night that (ignoring DLPs), the picture on the toshiba probably isnt woth the extra $700.. i mean, how much better can it get with rear projection, right?

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I can't believe it's $700 more. You must be comparing the retail price on the Hitachi with the List price on the Toshiba or something?? I'm in Canada and the 46H83 retails for $2599 up here, including stand. That's about $1875 US with straight exchange, but you guys usually come out a bit better than that.

Sorry though...didn't mean to cause you any consternation!

14. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Yep, the 46H83 is $2599 CDN with quite a bit of room to play with the dealers.
    I'd find it hard to believe that it would be any more than the hitachi