What's new

Locke & Key (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"After their father's gruesome murder, three siblings move into a house with magical keys that grant them powers. Adapted from the comics by Joe Hill."

Meredith Averill (“The Good Wife”) will co-showrun the series with Carlton Cuse ("Lost", “Bates Motel”).

This is the fourth or fifth redevelopment cycle on this franchise, and the first to get picked up to series. It was originally developed for FOX with Josh Friedman ("The Sarah Connor Chronicles") as showrunner. Jesse McCartney, Sarah Bolger, and Skylar Gaertner played the three Kinsey children. It's one of the most talked about "unsold" pilots. It then went through a couple of iterations at Hulu, with Carlton Cuse on board as showrunner and first Scott Derrickson and then Andy Muschietti on board as producing director. Then Netflix expressed interest in the IP, but didn't like the Muschietti-directed pilot that was shot for Hulu. Averill was brought on board to help Cuse redevelop it. Joe Hill is on board as an executive producer. The new Netflix pilot was written by Joe Hill and Aron Eli Coleite ("Heroes", "Star Trek: Discovery").

I've almost started this thread half a dozen times. But with a full-season order from Netflix, and the cast assembled, I'm finally pulling the trigger.

LockeAndKey_S01_001.jpg

(L-R: Bill Heck as Rendell Locke, Darby Stanchfield as Nina Locke, Jackson Robert Scott as Bode Locke, Emilia Jones as Kinsey Locke, and Connor Jessup as Tyler Locke)

Cast
The Locke Family:
  • Darby Stanchfield ("Mad Men", "Scandal") as Nina Locke
  • Connor Jessup ("Falling Skies", "American Crime") as Tyler Locke
  • Emilia Jones ("Doctor Who", "Utopia", What We Did on Our Holiday) as Kinsey Locke
  • Jackson Robert Scott (It) as Bode Locke. (He is the only cast member carried over from the Hulu pilot)
Matheson Academy:
  • Sherri Saum ("The Fosters") as Ellie Whedon, a teacher at Matheson Academy who has a mysterious history with the Locke family.
  • Griffin Gluck ("Red Band Society", "American Vandal") as Gabe, a new boarding student at Matheson Academy who befriends Kinsey Locke.
  • Petrice Jones ("Step Up: High Water") as Scot, a massive horror movie nerd and the ringleader of the "Savini Squad" — a group of teen misfits named for famed special effects artist Tom Savini. He becomes Kinsey Locke's first friend at the Academy.
The Plains of Leng:
  • Laysla De Oliveira ("The Gifted", In the Tall Grass) as Dodge, an unpredictable and sinister demon in beautiful human form who torments the Locke family.
San Francisco:
  • Thomas Mitchell Barnet ("Saving Hope", "Wayne") as Sam Lesser, a troubled, sensitive young man who longs for a connection and will go to desperate lengths to find one. His vulnerability makes him an easy target for Dodge’s manipulation.
Recurring:
  • Steven Williams ("21 Jump Street", "The Chi", "The Leftovers") as Joe Ridgeway, an esteemed teacher at Matheson Academy who connects with the newly arrived Locke family.
  • Kevin Alves ("Degrassi: The Next Generation", "Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments") as Javi, the colorful life of the party who doesn’t take life too seriously. He does his best to try to persuade new friend Tyler Locke to do the same.
  • Asha Bromfield ("Riverdale") as Zadie, a spunky, horror nerd and lone female member of the “Savini Squad” — that is, until Kinsey Locke arrives at Matheson Academy.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This limited comic series is one of my favourite of all time. Visually interesting with an amazing story. Well worth a read.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I listened to the audiobook ... which was pretty good give its limitations of coming from a graphic novel.

So appreciating the story but having missed the visual aspects, I’m definitely giving the Netflix adaptation a try!

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Binged this over two days and absolutely loved it. I knew nothing of the comics and didn't have any idea as to what it was about but I thoroughly enjoyed this show and really hope it does well enough for a Season 2 and beyond.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Binged this over two days and absolutely loved it. I knew nothing of the comics and didn't have any idea as to what it was about but I thoroughly enjoyed this show and really hope it does well enough for a Season 2 and beyond.
This looked like it was going to be a monster/ghost (or key) of the week. Am I wrong?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This looked like it was going to be a monster/ghost (or key) of the week. Am I wrong?

Yes, I’d say your are wrong with that impression. Like most modern series, it is not episodic but serialized. Not an “episode of the week” type show. No ghosts (well, not really) or monsters. Though there is an evil antagonist. I’m just 6 episodes in (so just over half way), but the keys obviously play a significant part in the story that is playing out. Though, again, it’s not a “key of the week” type format. More keys are discovered as the story progresses, but it’s just a natural progression.

I’m really enjoying this. I was recently thinking of how I would classify the genera of this story just based on viewing these episodes. I think I’d put it somewhere near the “Harry Potter” type of story vibe where there is a somewhat lighter tone with kids as the protagonists but yet there is still a relatively dark overall story playing out with serious real world, adult stakes.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Finished season 1 last night. Definitely enjoyable and recommended. While the big reveal at the end was very predictable it was a fun ride. Looking forward to season 2.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We watched Locke and Key that past week, finishing it last night. It was decent. I wouldn't consider this "must watch" Netflix, but it was solid. The twist at the end got me, because it's different from the original story and I'd forgotten a few key details from the "book" conclusion.

As the Netflix series more or less depicted the entire published graphic novel series, are they working with Joe Hill to craft follow-on stories for the second season and beyond?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ending with Season 3:

Probably just as well Emilia Jone was the star of (and played the title character in) this year's Best Picture winner. No way they would have been able to hold onto her over the long term.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Ending with Season 3:

Probably just as well Emilia Jone was the star of (and played the title character in) this year's Best Picture winner. No way they would have been able to hold onto her over the long term.

What are the odds the writers put a musical number for her in season 3.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This seems good. A planned conclusion is better than unplanned cancellation. And the story really seems like it’s heading to a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks