Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Gregory, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I finally got around to watching Snatch last night and was wondering if anyone had any opinions about the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels disc. I couldn't seem to find a decent review anywhere.
    How is the transfer? Any possibility of a SE for Ritchie's first film? I did notice that this disc was released by Polygram, now that they have folded who owns the rights? MGM?
    -Chad

2. Adam Wolkoff

Adam Wolkoff Auditioning

There were no transfer-related issues to me when viewed on a 40X81/5109.
    The movie is a real gas, lots of fun to watch. Even stands up fairly well to repeated viewing. Since you've seen Snatch, you'll get a kick seeing some of the same actors in both similar and quite different roles in Lock Stock. Some of these actors are starting to make an impression on others too. I see that Big Chris/Bullet Tooth Tony found himself in Swordfish...
    You'll like the movie.
    ASW

3. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

Definitely check out Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. If you enjoyed the movie Snatch, you will really like this one. I can't really comment on the R1 DVD because I own the R2 Director's Cut that has some added footage. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this movie though.

4. Chad Gregory

Thanks guys,
    I was assuming that I would enjoy Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I thoroughly enjoyed Snatch. My main curiousity would be for the disc itself.
    The Snatch disc has a very nice documentary, as well as an entertaining commentary by Ritchie and the producer. How does the doc on Lock, Stock... compare? Is there anything worthwhile on this disc? Any speculation of Ritchie revisiting it with a commentary?
    Thanks, Chad
    Adam - Now I will have to watch Swordfish sometime this weekend. I just can't seem to catch up. (took me four months to watch Snatch)

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Loved this movie, so much that I just got the R2 DVDs or the Lock, Stock, and ... TV series. Only watched the pilot so far and it was very enjoyable. I can't believe they can show breasts on tv over there!

6. John DeLuca

Chad, if you are watching movies with Vinnie Jones, you can also watch Gone in 60 Seconds. He's in that also. You can't really compare the Lock, Stock and Snatch DVD's though. Snatch is a 2 disc Special Edition and Lock, Stock is only 1 disc. DVDEmpire lists it with a production featurette, Cockney Dictionary, and Cast and Crew Biographies.
    If you have the ability the play Region 2 PAL DVD's, you might want to pick up the R2 DVD of Lock, Stock. It has 9 minutes of added footage, and some multi-angle features. At least, that's what the case says. I haven't gone through the whole DVD yet. Another thing about Guy Ritchie, he has great soundtracks for his movies.

7. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

Lock Stock was a great movie! Even better than Snatch in my opinion. Run don't walk to go rent or buy a copy!

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Lock Stock is quite a bit better than Snatch, although I have heard a few people differ with that opinion, not many do.
    Snatch is a lot of fun, Lock Stock is just top-notch filmmaking AND a lot of fun. Ritchie just nailed everything on LS&2SB, Snatch was a little loose in some aspects.
    My favorite part of Lock Stock is the card game in the boxing ring. Great cinema.
    Also, Vinnie Jones RULES. Even in Swordfish and 60 Secs. That guy is just a great film presence.

9. EvanB

EvanB Stunt Coordinator

Lock Stock is most definetly worth a look...its a tighter than Snatch, but each film is a riot...i agree that the soundtracks are great, ive got both of em...im looking forward to ritchie's future projects...

10. Chad Gregory

Alright, I'm convinced.
    I went ahead and ordered it. $13.29 over at DDD if anyone is looking for a deal.
    Seth,
    I agree that Vinnie Jones is a riot. But there is no way that I will watch Gone in Sixty Seconds. I just can't stomach Nicolas Cage whos acting can only be described by one word - poor. I am already suffering through Swordfish and Travolta. [​IMG]
    -Chad

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey Stunt Coordinator

er you guys do know who Vinne Jones is dont you?
    he's not an actor, he's an ex professional footballer who was infamous for the "physical" style of his play as opposed to any particular ball skills (although ask Paul Gascoigne about the latter point!)
    That said he's done quite well in Lock Stock and Snatch - just wonder if you need the subtitles to understand the slang!

12. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I'm waiting for an SE. The video on Lock Stock is very sub-par and I have read that the R2 DVD blows it away, which is no surprise.
    Jeff

13. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

It should be noted that LS&2SB was shot in Super 16, so it's going to be grainier than most movies. There are a lot of saturated reds and yellows that give the film a unique look, which I happen to like.
    As for the movie itself, it's a lot of fun and I would say I enjoy it as much as I enjoy Snatch. [​IMG] Ritchie wanted his bad guys to be authentic, so he went out and hired real East End (London) thugs to play similar roles in his movie.
    The disc doesn't have a director's commentary, but it does have a Guide to Cockney Rhyming Slang, which is both educational and entertaining - dare I say edutaining ...
    [Edited last by BrianKM on November 10, 2001 at 05:28 AM]

14. John DeLuca

Duncan, I know who Vinnie Jones really is. And yes, I've seen the picture that made him famous. He's great in these movies though. I now hear he's doing a remake of The Longest Yard.

15. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    There are a few versions of the movie on DVD in both R1 and R2. In my opinion, go for the R2 Directors Cut if you love this movie. It adds about 9 mins of extra footage (which add to the movie IMO). It also comes with a comprehensive 30-page booklet, which includes production notes and cast & crew profiles.
    The jewel case that holds the disc sucks, but everything else about it absolutely rocks! [​IMG]

16. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Is anyone disapointed with the video quality of the dvd Snatch? It doesn't seem to be the best tranfer I've ever seen. Both the full screnn and widescreen version are on the same side. They should have made this a two sided disc.

17. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Is it me, or am I the only person in the world to notice the transfer difference between the 2 versions of lock stock?

In the directors cut, GONE is the wonderful Sepia tint from the print. I prefer the look and print of the original.