Lock on "FULL" mode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Jan 17, 2003.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

What exactly is this?? I recently got a DV45a and the 2.35:1 movies got larger than they were previously on a Denon 1000. I have a Mits 55511. I set the 45a up for a16x9 tv and the picture got larger than we previously saw, but if I set the player for a 4:3 screen I see the same image as before. The image doesn't fill the entire screen and I realize it shouldn't, but do I have a problem??
    SC

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Some 16x9 TV's (including Mitsubishis) will not allow you to use different viewing options when the TV is receiving a 480p video signal. Instead, the television locks into FULL mode (or whatever the manufacturer calls the mode used for viewing anamorphic DVDs). Your options for viewing non-anamorphic widescreen material in this case are (1) switch to interlaced video mode, (2) buy a progressive scan DVD player with built-in scaling features, such as the Panasonic RP-91, or (3) watch a smaller picture that is both letterboxed and windowboxed.

Incidently, my Toshiba 56H80 does not lock into FULL mode on a 480p signal, but it does with a 1080i signal. In this case, my HD tuner must handle any viewing mode adjustments.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Well,you can do #3 if you switch to interlace. In which case #1 should read switch to interlace and use TV's Zoom, and #3 would read switch to interlace( and keep TV in normal which won't stretch the picture)

I understand this isn't so easy for some players/tv combos though since some players only have the switch for I/P on the back and some TV's have separate inputs for Interlaced and Progressive. Sove players may have separate outputs too (don't know about that one though)

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Gotta love all the extra complexity that aspect ratio control throws into the whole mix of things, no? [​IMG]
    Makes me feel pity for J6P and his desire to simply fill the whole screen at all costs. [​IMG] It's tough enough for most people to learn about OAR as it is...
    _Man_

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well, there are also some players that don't really "scale" the image when it is a 4:3 source going to a 16:9 monitor (as set in the DVD players menu of course), but instead will create a true 16:9 image by adding black video bars on each side.

That way when you have a P signal going to a set that will automatically fall into FULL mode with a P signal, then you will always get the correctly sized image since the DVD player will always put out a 16:9 image even if it has to add the bars to the sides of the 4:3.

In fact, IIRC most manufacturers of TVs that lock on Prog signals also happen to make players that will create 16:9 images from 4:3 ones. I think RCA and/or Pioneer had/has players that do this, for example.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I still think it is worth staying away from a TV that locks in 16:9 mode. If you buy one you will be cursing at it soon thereafter.
    Try the aspect ratio modes using the remote in the store before buying. Use a variety of source material including HDTV.
    When the DVD player has to format the picture and add the black side bars, the video cable needs to be of a higher quality (higher bandwidth).
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

I have a Mitsu TV and I can select from all size formats when viewing 480p signals. If I'm watching a movie for the 2nd or more time and dont feel like adding to the burn in on anamorphic dvds, then I zoom the picture in.

Mark