What's new

Loch Ness monster captured on tape? (1 Viewer)

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the giant squid was once thought to be a mtythological monster for hundreds of years as Garrett said. It was later mentioned in the book and turned into a movie "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea". Now a few have actually been caught and washed up on the shore.

The gentle giant basking shark was also one of the mysterious creatures seen by many sea faring people for decades until one was found I think it was in the late 70's.

So, you never know what is out there in the unknown places!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, I don't necessarily want to take a side, but I can't help but notice some interesting comments from the naysayers.

That would assume that we know exactly what kind of creature it is, how long it lives, how it procreates, etc. If it were a creature that lives for 100-150 years and is a male then it would not have multiplied in many numbers by now.

So, A LOT of "if's." I'm in no way saying that Bessie, crop circles, UFO's or anything else are real. But, IMO, just because no one has proven that something does exist/is true that is not the same as disproving it. And I don't accept scientists and the like saying "it is impossible" as proof because at one time the world was flat, the sun revolved around the earth, and (since this in an HT board) I'll bet you that in 1954 no one with a color TV thought Hi-Def was in our future, much less in under 50years.

- Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

No, it doesn't. There have been reported crop circles from Europe, to the US, to Australia for 50 years. Again, I'm not trying to say they ARE real without a doubt. But you're the kind of person I was talking about in my first post. Since one individual admitting to making crop circles then all of them must have been made by human pranksters. Maybe the guy that admitted it was a copycat? We do not know for 100%, therefore we do not know.

To me, that is like saying if someone made a 100% on a test but cheated then obviously everyone else that made a 100% must have cheated as well.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never seen anyone put forth ideas as to how this would happen. Unless you believe that Nessie can walk overland to the sea or that she has wings and can fly there are only two avenues open to her getting to the sea and back.

The first of these is the Ness River the outlet that flows to the sea. This river is quite shallow in some places, flows though villages and towns and has weirs that were built nearly two hundred years ago that restrict the flow of water (and which Nessie would have to traverse in order to reach the sea. Weirs would provide a perfect place to see any large creature moving along the river. Since no one has reported seeing Nessie in the Ness River, we may safely assume that this is not how she migrates.

The second possibility is that there are some tunnels that provide underground connections to the sea, through which Nessie can swin on her journey back and forth from the loch to the sea. The problem here is one of physics: if such tunnels existed, the level of the lake would subside to sea level (or to the level of the connecting tunnel). Since Loch Ness is about 50 feet above sea level, we may conclude that no such tunnel exists.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

The point is that since it is admitted that human pranksters are capable of making crop circles, there is NO REASON to believe that ANY of them were created by extraterrestrials. It's an EXTRAORDINARY claim that demands EXTRAORDINARY evidence (skeptics don't need to "prove" a negative. It's up to those who make the extraordinary claim to prove it). Since it's been proven that crop circles are NOT extraordinary (capable of being done by human pranksters), they are evidence of NOTHING with respect to ETs. Your argument is akin to saying that some aircraft "could" be piloted by ETs, even though we know that humans are perfectly capable of doing so.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Its the same thing with many of these "sightings".

Someones already said it. Why did the video stop? Its swimming in an awfully straight line, also? And what would be its point of snorkling like it was. Does it breath air all of a sudden? If it doesn't there would be no reason for it to be breaching the surface like that.

I would love it if there was a Loch Ness Monster, if Bigfoot existed, etc... But there's yet to be any undisputable proof of these creatures existing.

UFO's I would have to say, out of all the possible mysterious things, UFO's could exist. We have a pretty good grasp of technology and our surroundings on Earth, and especially in sudo contained areas like Loch Ness, But when it come to things out of this earth, who knows.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this statement? From other points of view non believers are not the skeptics. It's the believers that are skeptics...skeptic of people that cannot prove that ALL extraordinary events are in fact done by people. If you don't need to prove a negative (whatever that means) then neither do they need to prove it. And each should be accepting of the other, instead of being "greater than thou" and acting like believers (or non disbelievers if you will) are stupid. Like I mentioned before, not too long ago if you thought the world was round then you were an idiot, sometimes even persecuted. Many people were so certain the earth was flat. Gee, don't THEY look stupid now.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

On a related note, Art Bell's website has an AWESOME picture taken from the rover of a "UFO over mars' surface".

What makes the picture so awesome, is it is really a picture of one of Mars' 2 tiny moons (the largest of which is about 8 miles wide) rising on the horizon (which they do several times a day because of their low orbit).

Of course, to Art Bell and friend's its an alien spacecraft. Just goes to show, you see what you want to see.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And those who believed that the earth was round went out and proved it. It was up to those with a new theory to prove its correctness or why it made more sense than other models, just as it would now be up to anyone now advancing a ‘flat earth’ theory to demonstrate why it made more sense than a round earth.

In the case of Nessie, many arguments have been advanced as to why Nessie does not exist, among them the lack of physical evidence (bones, etc.) that would confirm her existence, a lack of verifiable sightings, especially interesting given the numbers of people who sit on the banks of Loch Ness armed with cameras equipped with telephoto lenses, and also arguments that Loch Ness is not capable of sustaining life of the magnitutde of Nessie.

All of the arguments have so far not been refuted by those who believe either that Nessie does exist or that she might exist—with the possible exception of ‘adequate food in the Loch’ argument.

In fact the counter to these logical positions, is, ‘I believe’. And a claim that no one has proved Nessie does not exist.

No one has also not proved that a one-eyed, one-horned-flying, purple, people-eater does not exist either, but that does not mean that it does.

The point on negative proof is that it is not, in most cases possible. But were Nessie to exist, it would be possible to prove her existence. Which has not been done.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is a little arrogant and ignorant of earthlings :) to say that they are the only living beings in the whole universe.:D

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Many believe there is no evidence proving UFOs/aliens have visited Earth. This does not, however, imply that life does not exist beyond Earth. I believe that it is highly probable that life does indeed exist elsewhere but that it does not have the means or desire to visit Earth.

As for Nessie, there is no doubt after numerous investigations of a relatively small lake under so much scrutiny for so many years that a there is no monstrous beast.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Peter, the dismissal of flying saucers has nothing to do with what one thinks about the possibilities of and evidence for life elsewhere in the Universe. The former is pop-culture, the latter science. And science needs evidence in order to be science. The flying saucer crowd prefers drama. As the flying saucer craze started dying out in the mid-'70s and fewer people reported seeing things in the sky they didn't understand, the "field" (that is, the people who have a vested interest in perpetuating the myth) migrated to "alien abductions." The more difficult to substantiate, the bigger the fad (it's making Budd Hopkins, David Jacobs, Whitley Streiber, et al a ton of change). JB

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Indeed I also see a line disturbance in the water leading all the way up to the shore ahead of the black shape bobbing in the water....not that I'm suggesting that it was a line of wire or something...I'm just saying...:D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
As an aside:

Photos and actual specimans are available of a giant octopus that washed up on a beach approximately 120 years ago.

Many scientists expected that giant squid exist, based on unusual wounds found on sperm whales and squid-like organic material in their stomachs.

It is untrue that scientists did not believe giant squids exist. They've been predicting their existance for at least 100 years. Hell, they even capture baby giant squid routinely now. And even more astonishing, they believe giant squid now account for a very significant percentage of the ocean's biomass. The exponential increase in giant squid sightings and bodies found in nets supports the hypothesis of a population explosion (seemingly caused by an explosion in small fish populations - the ones that fishing trawlers throw back into the ocean :) ).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Indeed Kevin!
See my post #15 in this thread and the reactions to that (none). This fact is of course ignored by the believers... :)

Cees

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Each should be held to a rational standard of evidence, not ready to swallow anything someone claims while providing no evidence of it.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
IF Aliens are really abducting people, why do they seem so fixated with anus probing??? I mean that seems to be the first thing they go for... We are the most advanced species on earth, but instead of studying our minds, WHAMO... RIGHT TO THE COLON PROBE....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks