What's new

Location of subwoofer port (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
I've never seen a subwoofer port that's not on the same baffle as the driver, yet some bookshelf speakers have their port on the backside. Is a rear port acceptable for a DIY subwoofer(disregarding sub placement issues in room)? And furthermore, does the port location matter at all? Like can the port tube be positioned through a side wall, or pointing up, etc. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You can place it anywhere you want as long as it has room to breathe. That means don't put it on the back of the speaker then push the back up against a wall.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I ported my sub through the side and it works fine. It allowed me to make my ports a bit longer than the front-back depth would allow. They run above and below the driver.

~Crowe~

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Full-range speakers are proted on the back to avoid midrange frequencies leaking through the port. This is not a concern with subwoofers. Put the port anywhere you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks