What's new

Local VS Online when Buying Projection TV? (1 Viewer)

ReidS

Auditioning
Hi - I'm going to buy a rear projection CRT big screen in the next few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding buying these online vs going to a local store.

From what I know - the positives of buying online are

1) generally a lower price
2) no tax

My concern is on how these are typically shipped. I know when these TV's are delivered to Best Buy or a home theater store they are delivered on nice cushy air ride trucks. Is there any concern when buying online that these are being shipped by some systemology where there's a percentage that the crt guns can be seriously knocked out of convergence? I know I don't trust UPS or the USPS when it comes to anything somewhat fragile - same philosophy?

Also - if you buy online - my gathering is you have to be in contact with the freight shipping company to set up a time - I'm going to be living on the second floor of a place when I purchase this - do the delivery companies just bring it to your parking lot and then adios or do they literally bring it all the way into your place?

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of this - the price being the big difference - in some cases this can be $200-$300 cheaper to snag online but I know that if someone is wrong with the unit and it's from a local store - at least you can bring it back as opposed to waiting for a service call.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks,
Reid

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine online but shipping was included. With something like an RPTV shippng may kill any price advantage.
When mine was delivered they wheeled in to the house and left.
If stairs were involved there would be an extra charge. Make sure you know exactly what "delivery" means. You don't want to be left with a $3500.00 TV sitting on your front lawn and looking at a stormfront rolling in.
The other thing to keep in mind is the stairway or elevator and will you be able to get the TV up and in the house.
You really don't want to manhandle these things like you would a box spring or a couch. A friend of mine ended up renting a manlift and taking off his deck railing to get his TV in the house.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I bought my 60" CRT RPTV online. The experience was positive. Experiences vary widely. The truck driver delivery guy was pleasant and helpfull. Seemed like he would of done more than just bring it in, but I explained the complexity of my HT and that installation would be extensive time wise.

Convergence still seems perfect to this day on it, mine was a factory refurbished even, it was drop shipped directly from Philips because it was out of stock at electronicsalley.com I ended up getting free shipping and no tax. I saved nearly $1000 off of the best new price I could find at the time local when tax would of been factored in.

The free shipping was luck though more than anything, it was supposed to be $190.........

So there is my experience. Of course I would fully agree with anybodies choice to not buy online, as all the reasons not to are totally valid as well.

Trade offs and choices.. ahhhhhh

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I gave this one some thought and still concluded that the thread belongs here in Display Devices. This is not really a topic for the Basics area. Carry on.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I really feel uncomfortable making very expensive purchases over the Internet.

Here's two advantages local usually still has going for it:

1.) You can SEE the hardware in question and sample it and demo it before buying.

*2.) If you have any problem at home, you're not looking at the major hassle of trying to repackage a 200 lb. TV and have FedEx or UPS come pick it up after you've tried to trudge it to the front door. (Some UPS guys might be nice and help you here for a tip.)

Locally, if you buy from a good place, you're simply going to have more immediate and hands-on attention for your needs.

When i went to buy my crt rear projection screen i did my research both online and local. I found that the price advantage to buying it online was negated through shipping so i decided to go with a company name that i know and can trust. I bought it through circuit city via online order. and they delivered it. I went and looked at it in the store first t see if i liked it. There was an online special at the time that was not in the store so i bought it online instead of the store.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I bought my RPTV directly from the employee discount site. Had no problems at getting it deliver. The shipper made sure to setup a time when I be home and an hour later, I had the set delivered.

I still needed to pay for tax and shipping, but with the discount, I save close to $400.

If you know what you want and do your homework on the TV and on the online store, I would buy my next set again.

Walking into a store does have its advantages. You can touch the product, see it for yourself and talk face to face, but on the other hand you need to hassle with the sale pitch and BS and more. Often times, its not worth it.

If someone is going to spends thousands of dollars on a TV, we can almost guarantee that they know what they want and researched before hand.

Unless Costco have my next set in their store, I will buy my next set online also.

Justin^W

Agent
I buy local and try to price match. I don't know I just feel safer if I can come back to the store if there is a problem.
This doesn't mean buying online is bad, just make sure they are reputable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks