What's new

Local supplier only has 1" fiberglass board. Change of plans? (1 Viewer)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
My HT is almost complete with dimensions of 23 long, 10 wide and 7 high (kids call it the shoebox)

It will have laminate floors with a throw rug and two leather Danish sofas (modern)

Since the walls are 7 ft high, I had planned to do a 3 ft tall thin pile carpet/wainscotting and chair rail along the 2 side walls and then texture the top 4 feet and hang fiberglass panel pieces covered in fabric. Then I thought of just making fiberglass board columns top to bottom and doing the wainscotting in between (3, 2ft columns on each side)

Anyway, I found out the local supplier carries only 1" thick duct board, not 2" like I had thought. Sooooo.

Do I double the duct board on the columns to make it 2" thick or perhaps just make the entire upper half of the wall fiberglass board?

Thoughts and input are welcomed.

I'm a newb so be kind :)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Actually no, sorry. I couldn't find the Owens Corning board here locally, only fiberglass board used for duct work. Foil on one side, exposed on the other. Rigid. I assume it's the same as the Owens Corning stuff but a different brand name.

Originally Posted by Robert_J

Can you link to the product you are talking about?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From your description, I'd just double it up where you need to. It will probably give you the same results.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
I might have to do that. I would rather, however, get the 2 inch thick stuff. Does anyone know where to buy locally in NM? I've looked for links but cannot find anything.

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Found a supplier! OC 703 for $1.88 a sq. ft.

Is there a ratio for how many panels you need per sq ft of wall space, or just place them at reflection points?

Looking at pictures of nice HT, I notice that the panels are spaced evenly and maybe not at reflection points?

I found one ratio of multiplying the rooms cubic volume by 0.03 to give sq feet of treatment. This was not, however, for theaters, but I think for something else.

Any ratios out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beautiful68
Recent bookmarks