Local Public Radio Seems To Be Dying Out

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I've always been a fan of local public radio with its mixture of live programs with volunteer hosts and the mix of music found nowhere else over the air from classical to jazz and bluegrass.

My local FM station, initially sponsored by the University of the Pacific, has had a good run, but now its merged with the larger Sacramento public radio station. The local program hosts with their different personalities are no longer there. Off-beat programming has been dropped.

Bluegrass music once aired from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. each Saturday was cut to 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., but next month will be dropped altogether. The audience demographic isn't there, the big city station manager explains.

It's like losing an old friend, when these local radio stations with their quirky staff fade away.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that happened here, too.
    my roommate was a DJ for a public station that was supported by the university. They carried a lot of good satellite feeds like mountain stage, world cafe, and sounds eclectic, jazz shows overnight, and had students that volunteered or had work study DJing. But the manager refused to let it be a "college station" and really limited what they could play. No students listened, no students supported it, and the university got tired of paying so it was shut down. It's too bad, they were the best station in town [​IMG]

the off-beat stuff very well may be satellite feeds, and they may not be able to afford them anymore, it's pretty spendy..

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Another reason to be thankful for KDVS (I had a show on it 11 years ago), which can be heard at www.kdvs.org if you can't pick it up where you are.