What's new

Local place to do my wood cuts? (1 Viewer)

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
I can adequately put a Sonosub together, I have MILD carpentry skills, but I dont have a need or a WANT for a router. Is there someplace you guys could point me to that you think would cut 4 pieces of MDF into circles that would be the ends of my sonosub? I have heard home depot, but Im not sure, carpenters out here are VERY expensive, so I would rather take it to a store.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I've read a post on here someplace that someone found precut mdf circles at Home Depot. I don't know if all stores carry 'em, tho. Otherwise, I know Home Depot will rent tools out. I don't know if they will special cut circles for you. (I know they will do straight cuts, usually for free.. they did all the cutting for my shiva sub for me. A real time saver. )

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard, nor seen anything to indicate that, HD will cut circles for you. Someone did mention that they found some small pre-cut particle board ones, though, 12" I think.

As for regular cuts, I think the accuracy you can expect from them is completely dependent on the person who happens to be hanging out by the saw.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Long shot. Try a vocational school or high school shop. Also I find it hard to believe that a cabinet shop would charge "alot". Also try a car audio store. Maybe a installer will cut them for you after hours for some side money.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
You don't want to ask a carpenter. Call up some cabinetry shops and ask for pricing. Your best bet may be to rent a router as Dave suggested...

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
hi all

this thread sparked some intrest I am a car stereo installer. On the average we throw away 10 to 20 perfectly cut circles of MDF and particle board per week.

the cut outs are perfectly round as we use a PERFECT CIRCLE HOLE CUTTER attached to a router.

So those of you looking for them my just try your local independant car stereo install shop. If you play your cards right you may walk away with them for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks