What's new

Local news reports China Tosses Third Competitor Into DVD Format War (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Watched local KCRA "Channel 3 news" Reports 'Sacramento' last night, when the news anchor, Lois Hart, reported on a segment:

Link from KCRA's website:
China creates third DVD format:
... they plan to switch completely to EVD by 2008 and stop producing DVD players.
... generation formats from the Chinese markets and will also kill off DVD by 2008. ...

From FoxNews.com:

Paul

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
They tried this once already and it didn't take. DVD is too deeply entrenched to be replaced by EVD with it's slightly better resolution and storage capacity, when for a little more money, you can go straight HD. Besides, I think this is strictly a Chinese product aimed strictly at the Chinese market and will have little effect (if any) on the global market for DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I seriously doubt it's actually the electronics makers who are actively campaining for EVD, especially considering it's only meant for the Chinese market as Clinton pointed out. It's much more plausible that the Chinese government is trying to restrict access to information and entertainment from foreign countries.

I don't see this affecting the HD format war in any way in the Western world.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
This format could do well in Asia and have absolutely no impact beyond those borders. The VCD and SVCD, for example, were extremely popular in Asia -- partly because American entertainment companies ridiculously overpriced the DVD in that region -- and remained virtually unknown in the US.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Isn't this "old" news (not "local" news. I grew up watching KCRA, in B&W, no less!!!).
It's been known since 2005, that China (& Taiwan) would have their "own" HiDef format. They don't like paying royalties to other countries business (who does?).
So, we have five competing HD Disc Formats (or is it six? With that JVC red laser recordable format).

"There can be only One!"
Highlander

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks