Local movie theater projector putting scratches on film

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay Taylor, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Last night I watched Wallace & Gromit in 'The Curse of the Were-Rabbit' at our local theater. The film, the cartoon preceding it, and the trailers had vertical scratches throughout the presentation.

Since this theater has had the film since it’s release on October 7th, I’m assuming that they caused the scratches themselves. After the movie, no one was around to speak with about this except for the attendant at the snack bar who was busy entertaining teenagers.

I hate to see film destroyed like this. What would you do?

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

With the exception of seeing LOTR and Star Wars, I refuse to go to theaters since most of their films look like someone ran over it with a truck.

Movie theaters are definitely doing a great job of marketing HT equipment. [​IMG]

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Mind if I ask which theatre, Jay? (I'm in OKC, too.)

4. Jay Taylor

It was at Brixton Square 8, near NW Expressway & Rockwell. The movie was on screen #3.

Brixton Square 8 is one of the Hollywood Theaters that I believe is owned by WTC (Wallace Theaters).

5. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Ah. I only live a couple miles away from there (Hefner & Council), but can't really comment since I've only been there once, and that was almost ten years ago. Most of the flicks I see are at AMC Quail.

I've seen Brixton's listings, though, and with only two showings of each film per day (around four and seven o'clock), they look to be a real small-time operation. I'm kind of surprised that they're still a first-run theatre, actually. Seems more like a dollar-theatre type of place.

Still though, it's odd that they didn't have anyone available to talk to about the situation. I'd probably give them a call, and talk to their manager, to see if they could refund your tickets or give you free tickets to some other movie.

As for the larger issue of the film damage and what's causing it, I have no idea, unfortunately. Maybe the manager could address that, too? That's too bad that happened. Couldn't have been fun to sit through.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Maybe the film wasn't damaged before it started playing...perhaps there was a piece of dirt or metal in the projector that was scratching the movie as it went through the process of being projected.

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I'm in Edmond, Oklahoma and I only go to Quail Springs or Harkins (Bricktown).

- Colton

8. Jay Taylor

I'm mainly concerned about the brand new film being destroyed and stopping them from destroying more.

I used to know an owner of a video tape rental store that would track complaints of scratched tapes to locate the offender. He would then offer to clean their VCR for free. I seem to recall that he wouldn't rent to the owners of the VHS tape scratching player until the problem was resolved.

I'm wondering if there's a similar policy with movie theaters or if they will continue to receive new movies to destroy.