Local ISF versus transient ISF calibrationist

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I would like to know what you guys think are the pros and cons on the above topic.

My thinking is, yes, the Gregg's and Michael's are very good at what they do, but, what if something goes wrong with your set shortly afterwards? or example, a repair is needed that has the potential to void some of the tedious tweaking that was performed? Is their a warranty for calibrated services?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hmm, Id like to hear some views on this question.

I try to schedule semi regular trips to all the locations I visit, including Minneapolis where I have been 3 times over the past year.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

One response? The discussions over here are so lame! Thanks Gregg!

4. Michael St. Clair

I don't believe any manufacturer has denied warranty on a set that has had 'normal' service by an ISF-certified tech. I have heard that the TLV and lens-striping adjustments might be warranty-voiding and that a tech should warn you of this before performing them.

5. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I don't think he meant that the manf warranty would be voided, but that if you have to get it repaired, that all the money spent on ISF tweaking would be wasted. Say you get a new gun, then everything is gonna be out of wack (such as grayscale) and require ANOTHER calibration. Wow, an extra $400+ every time I get warranty work done can get expensive...

Of course there is the yearly visit Gregg mentioned, but if everything is back to factory fresh again after repair work, it won't be a yearly visit anymore, but a full-blown re-calibration. Guess that's just the way it goes. Just like anything you pay the price. You're paying Gregg (and family [​IMG] for their time, not a product. If you get a repair that requires more time, you're gonna have to pay again. That's the nature of the beast. If you get ISF, pray you don't need repair...

As for the items (such as lens striping) that could void the warranty, it would be good of the ISF guru to instruct the owner before doing any "invasive" work that it will have to be removed before warranty work is performed. And if the owner can't put it back the same way, guess the ISF guy will be back out to redo that too...

Hmm, this hobby is getting expensive [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

There is no valid reason why anything most of us ISF guys do would make a warranty invalid. One of the exceptions is mechanically disconnecting the SVM wires. I know Toshiba and Pioneer frown on this.

As for the H-TLV... Please consider what we are doing here. It is a simple adjustment (correction) of the G2 control. Almost EVERY tech I have followed after at a client's home has manually adjusted the G2s to attempt to color correct the image. This is essentially the same as the H-TLV except the tech doesnt know to put up a Gray Pluge pattern as a visual reference.

Lense stripping and or Cloth lining, should be of no concern to a service tech. But remember I am saying "should be". Perhaps it is better to remove than to have something questioned??

Regards

Gregg