What's new

Local idiot wants to know best RPG for Gamecube or XBox (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone...

RPGs are my favorite type of games, so naturally, I should have gotten a PS2, right? Well, I played Halo and fell in love with it, so I got an XBox. Then I played Eternal Darkness and had to have a GC. Now I'm aching for a good RPG. I've got Morrowind, and it's great. Now I'm looking for something not so open-ended. I should really just break down and get a PS2, but I'm so broke I can't pay attention. I feel like such an idiot for not getting a PS2, but I really don't know how I'd live without my GC and especially my XBox. Oh well... Life's full of compromises. Let me know if you all have any suggestions. Thanks!

Rob

JamesH

Supporting Actor
There isn't much out other than Morrowind. If you want Skies of Arcadia, you could probably buy it AND a Dreamcast for the same price as the GCN version, and get access to Grandia 2 as well.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
JamesH' suggestion is a good one, as is the reccomendation of Skies on the GC. So far, there really isn't much on the Xbox that fits the stereotypical Japanese RPG genre. Yes, there's games in the future, but that doesn't help /right now/.

Oh, and if anyone's keen on that idea of buy a DC + Skies + Grandia 2, I've got a copy of each of them going spare, in excellent condition. I accept trades :)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Or you could pick up a PS1 and a final fantasy game, or Legaia, or any one of hundreds of other PS1 RPGs. But then again, if you're an RPG fan, you probably already have a PS1.

You'll be happiest if you hold out and save up for a PS2. If you're buying games occasionally for $50 each, skip 4 of them and you have a PS2.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
What kind of computer do you have? You can't go wrong with Planescape: Torment and you can pick that up for about $15-20 these days.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely "Skies of Arcadia Legends" for the GC. Its the best RPG I've played in a while and I never got bored the entire 63 hours it took me. The ships battles are great and the ending rocks.

The only downside is some of the graphics, but if that disuades you your not a real gamer :wink:

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I really should have finished Skies for the DC, but I have to agree that it's one of the Best RPG's out there for any system.

Glen

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Thanks for all the responses! I've had a Dreamcast since it first came out, and I've already beaten Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2. I agree that they're both awesome. What do you all think of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance? Any good? Thanks again for your help. I'll probably get a PS2 when my tax return gets here. For now, I'll remain a broke college student with an XBox and a Gamecube. Later!

Rob

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Robert, from what I hear the Cube version of the game is not great due to the hideous conversion job they did with it.

I played it on the PS2 though, and have to say that it was a blast. It's not a straight RPG though, more like a beefed up (way beefed up) version of Gauntlet. If you have a second person to play through with you it's worth the money, no question. Great fun!

JamesH

Supporting Actor
http://www.gexpress.com/detailedspec...r=020626718585

Baulder's Gate is THE SHIT, but it might not be what you're looking for. It's mainly hacky slash with a weak story, but it's a lot of fun and great for co-op. Considering you can get it on Xbox for under $20, why not?

I might try to find another game or two to go along with it though, since the shipping rate is semi high for 1 game but gets really low as you buy in more volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks