Local HT dealer dropped the dime.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
I finally got to the Home Theater dealer that's in driving distance.

I asked him about AV recievers in general and mentioned I used to own an Anthem AV reviever.

The sales guy told me to wait on buying an Anthem reciever because Anthem AV was about to launch a new line of AV recievers.
I wasn't actually looking to buy a reciever though. I did buy a sub-woofer cable for the Ultracube 10 I grabbed on the cheap.

I'm guessing Anthem AV is releasing an 8k reciever. I'm sure it will have other bells and whistles to justify a price increase.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
I mention this on another thread: The salesman just mention the new Anthem AV reciever models when I mentioned I used to own an Anthem AV reviever. But I was inquiring about the idea if it would be better to put the UltraCube 10 on an inexpensive reciever or just hook it up to the soundbar.
He said if a soundbar could have a 2nd sub-woofer hooked up to it, then adding a 2nd sub would be fine.
I would get some performance boost, but not enough to justify even an inexpensive reciever, and would do nothing for the soundbar's performance because it wasn't a passive soundbar.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Isn't that "Dropping the penny"? Thought "Dropping the dime" is when you go all-in on paying for it.

Reactions: JackieT

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
Probably. There are a lot of metaphors in American English!
I'm pretty sure more than a few of them have different meanings depending on context.

I feel sorry for anybody learning American English as a second language. They say English is the hardest language to learn for a variety of reasons, and the seemingly endless metaphors has to trip up even the most astute students.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I feel sorry for anybody learning American English as a second language. They say English is the hardest language to learn for a variety of reasons, and the seemingly endless metaphors has to trip up even the most astute students.
I remember taking French classes and couldn't understand the "Le" and "La" and when to use them.

David Norman

Premium
Ahh. I didn't know that.
Well, it is only one definition of the term. A very common one to be sure, but it has origins in much more generic roots related to dropping a dime in a payphone to make any phone call. Eventually it changed to giving information and popularized in Detective novels and movies 'giving info to the Police." In recent couple decades I hear it far more often in various sports -- making a perfect pass, esp a long pass in Basketball or more commonly Football. I;ve even heard variations of it in gambling circles usually a large bet ($10K) though I think that is people trying to hype "gambling information infomercials on Phone Lines" by hooking onto the old snitching routine

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The gambling term is drop *A* dime (as opposed to drop *the* dime); and a dime is 10 of whatever financial group you and your peers hang out in.

And I can't take reading this thread anymore without saying that the OP was going for "drop the ball." There, now my obsessive-compulsive self can sleep tonight.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
The gambling term is drop *A* dime (as opposed to drop *the* dime); and a dime is 10 of whatever financial group you and your peers hang out in.

And I can't take reading this thread anymore without saying that the OP was going for "drop the ball." There, now my obsessive-compulsive self can sleep tonight.
The dealer didn’t really drop the ball because James wasn’t going to buy a new receiver.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Well, it is only one definition of the term. A very common one to be sure, but it has origins in much more generic roots related to dropping a dime in a payphone to make any phone call. Eventually it changed to giving information and popularized in Detective novels and movies 'giving info to the Police." In recent couple decades I hear it far more often in various sports -- making a perfect pass, esp a long pass in Basketball or more commonly Football. I;ve even heard variations of it in gambling circles usually a large bet ($10K) though I think that is people trying to hype "gambling information infomercials on Phone Lines" by hooking onto the old snitching routine
I really never heard the term get big until mid-late 90s gangsta rap started getting major airplay in my podunk town.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m not sure if the dealer dropped the ball, dropped a dime or dropped The Dime.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc