Local HD channels on Direct TV..HD?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Robert Zawacki, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Robert Zawacki

If I get a Direct TV HD Receiver and get the local package, do the local channels not come in HD? It seems like they would since they are broadcast in HD?

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

No you will not get them via the satellite. I have heard rumors that DirectTV will be adding HD Locals but nothing concrete. Also dont be confused, the HD channel is a seperate broadcast and station number from the normal network station so just because you receive one does not mean you receive the other. If you are physically close enough you may be able to receive the HD Locals via an OTA (over the air) antenna. Check www.antennaweb.org for recomendations.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It has been announced. The SpaceWay satellite will be launched in the spring. My guess is that they will start with the top 20 markets and work their way down. It will require another dish and some HD receivers will not be compatible with the new equipment.

-Robert

4. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

If you live in either New York or Los Angeles, both CBS and NBC are broadcast on DirecTV in HD.

5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

and you can get the eastcoast/westcoast network feeds if they allow you to. you just have to ask. I get them and I live not far from Boston.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Probably because Boston is a network owned and operated station. There are blanket approvals in place for O&O areas.

-Robert