What's new

Local HD Broadcast not in widescreen (1 Viewer)

cableghost

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I am receiving local HD broadcast via antenna, however, for one specific station, the programming does not fill my widescreen/16:9 TV. Why is this? The station even indicates that the broadcast is in HD.

Additionally, the video & audio is not in sync.

Station: Channel 27.1 KDFI, Dallas, TX

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If all other channels are appearing in the correct format then it's just a wrong listing in whatever guide you are looking at.

Many stations will broadcast digital conversions of thier analog shows during the day. You'll see more HD programming on during prime time.

Check the same station later in the day on a different show. You'll probably find that it's just how the station is broadcasting it.

It's all part of the conversion, we''ll be dealing with different formats for a while.

Not sure what is causing your video/audio delay. Is that only on that channell also? All the time?

cableghost

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
All programs appear in this non-16:9 format. What I did not mention earlier is that the programming, though not 16:9, is wider than a 4:3 aspect on the screen.

So if I understand you, it is possible that the station may be broadcasting in digital, but not necessarily in 16:9 format. Is this because of bandwidth limitations they may have or costly conversion equipment?

Thank you for your response.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes the stations are just broadcasting a Digital format, not in 16:9 Format. I know it's all confusing. It will be nice when everything is up to speed, but then It may never be. Are they ever going to reproduce all the "I love lucy" shows from 4:3 to 16:9? who knows. They already had to crop the original film so it fit our 4:3 tv's. Now they have to go back to to original film and redo whatever they end up doing in 16:9.

During the day when things are still filmed with the old camera's and equipment you will find your screen isn't filled and your fill/stretch button won't change anything cuz the tv "thinks" is getting a 16:9 picture already. But it's actually getting a 4:3 and won't allow you to fill or stretch the picture, but if you go to the same station in it's analog form like if you are watching 27.1 and you have the analog channel 27 available you can send that to your TV and it will allow you to stretch the analog version.

All way to technical and confusing to everyone right now.( at least it is to me!) I hope that Kinda helps expain things.

Any want to jump in and give a better description Please do!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks