Local feeds of HDTV without OTA antenna

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard Butler, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Howard Butler

Howard Butler Auditioning

I live in an area north of Los Angeles where OTA reception is blocked by mountains and am approximately 35 miles from the local transmittion towers/antennas. I get no OTA reception and have had to subscribe to cable to recieve any TV programs.
    My question...
    If a local station, say CBS broadcasts a program in HD will I be able to view it from a properly configured dish/reciever WITHOUT having to have an OTA antenna?
    I know that Direct-tv says they carry HBO-HD, but what about the local feeds?

2. Joel Smith

Joel Smith Agent

Howard, sorry to tell you that as of right now neither Direct TV or Dishnetwork carry any local HD feeds. You can do a search on your question and you will get all kinds of answers. The only way to get local HD is with a OTA Antenna or if your local cable company has the ability to broadcast HD.

3. Charles Dodge

Charles Dodge Auditioning

There is a Canadian satellite provider, ExpressVu which carries the US HDTV network shows. I have read posts from many people in the US who live in HDTV deprived areas and have gray market subscriptions to this service.
    Here is a link to the relevant information http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/008150.html

4. Howard Butler

Howard Butler Auditioning

Thanks very much for the information. Having the information up front helps to make better decisions.
    I don't watch a lot of local broadcast stations, but I just wanted to know what I was or wastn't going to get when I switch from nondigital cable to satellite.
    I've just started the process of building a simple entertainment center and have a Mits 55807 16x9 HDTV ready RPTV, a Mits VR900 A/V reciever with 100 watts per channel, B&W CCM80 ceiling mounted speakers in the rear, B&W LCR6 for the front left, center, and right. Even though my DVD player is non-progressive (Mits DD-5000) and sends only a 480i signal it looks awesome on the screen. Still need to get a subwoofer and a few other items, but so far I'm real happy with my system.
    I'm on a waiting list (#53) for the Mits HD500 satellite receiver and DirectTV dish. I know, don't hold my breath because so many have been waiting for this unit and Mits has totally pissed off the vast majority of those who were going to purchase.
    It would be really nice to get OTA HDTV from the local stations, but with HBO having 70 movies this past month in HD format that should at least keep me happy for a while until competition and demand forces DirecTV to add more HD content.
    I'll look into the ExpressVu info and if I head that direction, I'll post what the results are. Again, thanks for the information.