Local channels are now TERRIBLE!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hanzelin, Jan 4, 2002.

1. hanzelin

hanzelin Auditioning

I hope someone from DirecTV is reading this forum.
    While I appreciate the addition of the new local channels, whatever you did to change things over when the new bird came online is not good. The compression on the Chicago local channels is now UNACCEPTABLE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Watching the Rose Bowl last night was HORRIBLE! I would rather jab myself in the neck with broken glass then to try and watch a football game like that again!!![​IMG]
    I think my AT&T analog cable was better than this. As a matter of fact, I KNOW it was.
    Anyone else?
    Are they going to fix this, or are we doomed to watch the channels become more and more blocky over time?

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I havent noticed any quality degradations on the boston locals (the sound may even be a little bit better).

But it drives me nuts to have to wait for the local channels to load into the channel guide. Makes channel surfing much more difficult!

3. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

The DTV locals in Los Angeles look fine as well. I must say, tho', that I have noticed that the quality of all the DTV stations can vary by quite a bit from time to time. I notice this particularly on CNN which at times is crystal clear and at others heavily pixilated. Not sure what thte explanation for this is, but perhaps the poor quality you are now experiencing on your locals will clear up in time.

Deborah

4. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

The PQ should increase over time. Visit www.dbsforums.com where the have many threads going about picture quality, etc. With the new spot beam sat. now going, they have significantly increased bandwidth available. Now its just a matter of time till they "tweak" optimum PQ from it.
    As a side note, I watched the Rose Bowl also last night, and I was actually floored and how good the game looked. Vibrant colors, crystal clear graphics, kinda reminded me of how Directv used to look when I first got it almost 5 years ago. I think its gonna be a few more weeks till everyone around the country is getting the best PQ they can. The rest of the locals still looked way too washed out, FOX especially. (During Sunday football, sometimes the picture looks almost black and white).
    Matt