Local Cable and HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdQ, Jan 8, 2003.

1. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

If my local cable provider offers HDTV. What else do I need to see that, if I already have a unit like a Hughes E86??

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

The cable company will most likely provide you with a HDTV decoder box because HDTV content sent through the cable system uses a different manner in which to transmit the HDTV content, I believe the main standard for digital cable companies that will be in use is QAM.

OTA HDTV is broadcast under a different standard within the digital broadcasting, ATSC.

The Hughes e86 will help in decoding HDTV via satellite and also provide a OTA tuner using the ATSC standard. It won't be useful for HDTV via the digital cable TV system.

3. Chris_HD

Chris_HD Agent

Almost.

HDTV display modes (1080i, 720p, etc.) are defined within the ATSC standard. It is similar in intent to the current analog NTSC standard for North America.

HDTV can be encoded and broadcast using many encoding standards. The two most prevalent standards are 8VSB and 256QAM. 8VSB is what most OTA broadcasters are using. 256QAM is what most cable operators are using, alhough a few are sending 8VSB over cable to their settops. Some cable operators send their SD digital signals over 64QAM. 8VSB and 256QAM are simply transmission standards for sending encoded HDTV digitally across a broadcast medium.

Chris

4. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

So it sounds like I will need two receivers. I was hoping to get the Superbowl on HDTV.

5. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Ed, if you have the E86 already, do you use it with an over the air antenna? If your area has an ABC station currently broadcasting in HDTV, you can get it via OTA.

Or, you can sell your receiver on eBay and get a Zenith 520 or Sony HD200 (exact same internal box) which can decode cable, DirecTV and OTA in one box.

6. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

How can I find out if I can get ABC OTA in HD?

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    antenna web Just find your location and it will tell you what type of antenna to buy and which stations are broadcasting HD in your area.
    -Robert

8. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Looks like I can receive it. [​IMG]
    So I would plug the antenna into where my cable goes into and tune it to the correct channel?

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You'll also need to point the antenna in the right direction of the broadcasting towers and fiddle with the antenna until you lock in on a good signal. You'll get the hang of it.

10. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

I was able to get a couple of channels in HD (PBS). But the channel #'s do not match the ones on Antennaweb.org

I want to find ABC, any suggestions?

Also I assume you cannot receive DD using OTA.

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

12. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I think I have it all figured out. I now get all the local HD channels.

So if ABC is broadcasting the SuperBowl in DD I will receive DD using OTA. I won't need to subscribe to my local cable company.

Thanks alot!

13. NathanM

NathanM Auditioning

EdQ, I'm having the same problem you mentioned. I get a few DTV channels, but the only HD channel I'm showing is PBS (even though ALL of the stations are broadcasting from the exact same towers). I haven't had much time yet to fiddle with this, but if you have any words of advice I'd appreciate them. I'm using a pretty mediocre low-profile indoor antenna (though I think I might try to swap it for rabbit-ears, since most people seem to have good luck with those).

Nathan

14. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Well I picked this up Ant from Radio Shack Ant
    From what I understand, if you are receiving the signal. A better Ant. won't help. Its all or nothing.
    Don't forget, not all programming is in HD. I was watching a few shows in Digital. Looked prety good, then CSI came on in HD. WOW!! [​IMG]
    Also make sure you are on the Digital channels. I was first watching channel 10, but realized 10-1 was the correct digital channel.
    Just think I was ready to give my local cable company $$$ for HD. And now I get it for free! [​IMG]

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

That antenna that Ed linked above (RS #15-1838) is the same one that I'm using as well. The only draw back is I can't get everything from one single antenna position/configuration), so I do have to do a little work to tune in NBC vs. CBS vs. the rest of the available OTA HDTV signals, but it's worth it once you get to see the HDTV programming as Ed alluded to. The weird thing is that I need to use the amplified portion to tune in NBC which is on VHF channel 10, but the rest of the UHF channels just need a non-amplified UFH antenna tuning. YMMV.

I may use a 2-antenna setup to funnel in the NBC through the VHF portion, and use a UFH only antenna (I have the RS Double Bowtie antenna coming to me through the mail soon) and just combine the 2 signals to get a hands-off setup for all available OTA HDTV in my area.

Once you tune in the HDTV channels and see true HDTV programming, you'll be hooked!

16. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Glad to hear you're getting OTA feeds properly now. Yeah, the irony is that even with all this advanced technology, a rusty old roof top antenna will usually do the trick for most locals in HD (if they are available in your area.)

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yeah, that and holding your jaw juuuuussstt right to get some of those troublesome channels to come in clear. [​IMG]

18. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator