What's new

Liz Phair new album reviews? (1 Viewer)

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the new Liz Phair album? I've liked her previous albums, however, that new single on the radio (unfortunately) sounds a little too Avril Lavigne-ish to me.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I've liked her previous albums, however, that new single on the radio (unfortunately) sounds a little too Avril Lavigne-ish to me.
It's not coincidence. She used the same production team for a few of the tracks on the new album as Avril.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Oh, and I love the Pitchforkmedia review...
Damn! You beat me to posting that. :D

I was a little skeptical of people jumping on her before the album was even availible to review, but the latest round of reviews seem a lot more credible.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Horrible. Horrid. Worthless. Shit. Crap.

The pitchfork quote ("one of the worst records ever made") is not surprising, since they ran an article months ago when the news of the new album first broke with the headline "Liz Phair attempts to make worst album ever."

I thought Whitechocolatespaceegg was borderline shit, with a couple of decent moments here and there (but she was certainly on the decline into a bad attempt at lillith fair radio pop) -- but the new album is horrid.

Horrid. Horrid. Horrid.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
don't hold back vince, let us know how you really feel :)

sad, I was hoping it would be good as well :frowning:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
She's playing the Fillmore and I got tickets.... well she's divorced now and ..... oops I'm still married
Damn I knew I forgot something

Ike

Screenwriter
Check this out: Bias!

What does she hope to gain? She's 36. 4 years in the sunlight at tops, and she risks her whole cannon.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
After seeing that photo my marriage is safe:D

I have the LD of Saturday Morning Cartoons and she does the Banana Splits song on it

She is hot

Jay W

Supporting Actor
hah, funny stuff.

Incidentally, I did enjoy the PFM review of it...

Ten years after Exile, Liz has finally managed to accomplish what seems to have been her goal ever since the possibility of commercial success first presented itself: to release an album that could have just as easily been made by anybody else.
Perfect.

However, I think the 0.0 is just a statement they are trying to make (NYC Ghosts & Flowers by Sonic Youth is the other one I remember getting 0.0) rather than the impression the album is unlistenable. However, it's a long way from Exile in Guyville (still one of my favorite albums) - everything since then has just been downhill and I just stopped caring. This album just covers the fact it's a straight up and down cookie-cutter pop record with the explicit (yet horribly mediocre) lyrics. Maybe this is Avril Lavigne 15 years down the road? :)

PS: I actually endured listening through it till I got to the apparent pinnacle of the album - that being HWC, excuse me while I gouge my eyes out with a spoon :D.

On the other hand the new Mars Volta which came out yesterday is great. The drumming on that record is just awesome. Only $6.99 at Best Buy this week.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maxim gave her new album a bad review as well. I'll definitely be buying it because I like Avril as well.

Even if it isn't like her others, I'm sure I can appreciate it on some level.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I havent listened to it. I read a short interview with her in Entertainment Weekly while waiting to get my car inspected. It was a sad pathetic article. Bummer that we lose Liz Phair and Jewel in the same year.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Just saw opening night of Liz's tour and I had a great time.
Didn't play a lot of the new stuff and most worked better live than on the CD (all except the Baby Baby song I cant stand).
It was at the Fillmore Ballroom so it sounded great. Some bands tend to be a little intimated by the history of the place (I saw her walking through the areas where a poster of just about every show -1000s- are hanging on the wall. ), but she seemed relaxed. And BTW her poster is very cool, if a show sells out, they give everyone a poster after the show... it will be in a frame on my wall soon!
She came back quickly for an encore of 2 songs ...the last being, "Fuck & Run", naturally.
The house lights came on and about half the crowd left(and couldn't get back in!!!) and she came back solo.
She then brought some people up on the stage, who claimed they could do the backing vocals for "Flower".
If you loved her earlier stuff and hate the new one, you should like the show if you get a chance to see her.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I got the album cheap from a friend who works in the industry. After reading this thread I thought "uh-oh" but after popping it in, I definitely don't feel the dislike (bordering on hate) that others have felt.

No I don't think it's a great album.

Yes it's a bit more "poppy" than anything else she's done.

But I just don't think it's that bad (or actually bad at all). I find it listenable, and even a bit enjoyable, even if it eventually proves forgettable. I certainly wouldn't recommend paying full MSRP for this, but if I had purchased it on sale (like it was first week of release for $9.99) I wouldn't have thought it a waste.

Just one man's humble opinion.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since my last post, I've listened to the CD and I love it. Just as much as I love her old stuff.

Everyone keeps saying she's "selling out" with this album, and to those people, I say:

"It's nice to be liked
But it's better by far to get paid
I know that most of the friends that I have don't really see it that way
But if you could give 'em each one wish
How much do you wanna bet
They'd wish success for themselves and their friends and
That would include lots of money"

:D She's just playing the numbers game with this album.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
One observation from the show; her fans are more than 'fans'.
Just about everyone knew every song by heart.
I think when a performer has such a following they are more likely to piss some off no matter what they do.
A few of the songs I dislike because they are so wrong....the words dont fit her....I hope she does broaden her fan base with it.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Count me in as one of the few here who does not hate the new CD. Sure, it doesn't have the power of the old stuff. Nothing earth shattering or ground breaking, but I find it pleasant enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.