Living with my Bose VCS-10; any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark:F, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Yes I really do.I bought it for a new system downstairs but decided to use it upstairs instead to replace a cheap Radio Shack 6" that (of course) didn't work well with my nice ADS speakers. So now I need a center speaker downstairs and would appreciate input.
    I had to have wall mounted white speakers downstairs, and I think that all I could find was Bose. For fronts I have 251 environmentals ( to be used inside the house...chose because of white color) and the surrounds are 161's. Fortunately the center speaker needs to be black.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Is there some point to this thread?

And of all the bose speakers you could possibly use, lol their center is like the WORST, in my opinion.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Wow you are the first person I have heard say that they
    love the VCS-10.. Reese Ayepong had one and hated it.. But
    I guess some people ask more of thier center channel considring
    he now has an AR2C which has dual 5.25" Mids 1" Titanium
    Tweeter and an internal amped 6.5" Slot Loaded Low Frequency
    Driver...

Glad you are happy with your VCS10.

4. Mark:F

Chris...Sorry for my confusing message. I'm asking for your recommendations for a center speaker to work with the 4 Bose apeakers.

5. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

My current center channel is also a vcs-10 and I'm not too happy with it, you see, when I finish calibrating my system using the Video Essentials dvd, there's a voice sweep going all around the room from speaker to speaker. When it gets to the center speaker the voice sounds thinner, this indicates to me that it is not reproducing certain frequencies even if I set it to "large". This doesn't have anything to do with "voice matching" which is also the reason I want to replace it to match my Definitive Technology's Bp30's. (all speakers are set to small in the receiver as adviced in my SVS PB2-plus's manual.)

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Bose??? I don't think I'll bash the brand in this thread and have a little respect. However, instead, I'll refer you to my signature below. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Gentlemen, in an electronics store I work at, I demoed a Bose VCS-10 for a customer. Agreeing that it sounded decent, I switched to a Polk Csi30 (which was cheaper BTW). Owning a Csi30 myself, I didn't expect much difference. It is a fairly modest, entry level center speaker. But... NIGHT AND DAY. The VCS-10 was muffled and sounded just plain bad when immediately followed by the Polk. Hell, the Csi30 sounded herculean by contrast, crisp, clean, and dynamic. Needless to say, I give Bose a chance, and come away dissappointed. (So was the customer, who groaned about having to buy the VCS-10 anyway to match the rest of his Bose speakers...)[​IMG]

So I guess I am a little suprised at your admiration for the VC-10. Just my two cents though....

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

9. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

10. terence

terence Supporting Actor

What's up Reese, nice of you to spread the love and get a new AR Hi-Res recruit. The Ar Hi-Res speakers are really hard to find and come by, and when they do show up it takes less than week for them to disappear. I got lucky i found a guy who was on the road a lot and did not have time to listen to them. Contact Scott G. I think he still has a AR4C that he might want to part with.

11. RISUG

RISUG Stunt Coordinator

Great to hear from you Terence. Thanks for the info, but my
    friend is intent (as I was) on getting an AR2C. I'm acting
    as his "AR agent" by checking ebay daily. He understands that the AR4C and AR2C are identical in performance with the exception that the AR2C can reach lower (45Hz as opposed to 70Hz) due to the 6.5" down firing slot loaded woofer, but he figures - why not?.

Of course at the end of the day beggars can't be choosers so he may or may not end up having to wait a great deal of time. And even when an AR2C does show up on ebay there is no guarantee that he will win the bidding war that will most likely take place.

Man am I glad that I have my AR Hi-Res setup. I honestly want for nothing where speakers are concerned. [​IMG]

12. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Over the weekend I was at a friend's Christmas party and he was bragging about his ummm Bose speakers. I have to admit they do sound okay (I am by no means an expert in sound). He had those Bose cubes, a center, and a Bose subwoofer module. If you could call it a Subwoofer; he thought it had really deep bass: I will have to invite him over and let him audition my PW2200. My wife was with me and she looked at me and said "how come our speakers are so big, we should get these little cubes for our rec-room".......ahhhhhhhhhh. Anyway, I said if you want smaller speakers we can pay a fraction of the cost and purchase some Paradigm Micros or Atoms (I like Paradigms, so those were the first small speakers to come to mind). Just at that point the Bose owner over heard me and said my wife has some Paradigm speakers in our bedroom (not sure what they were as I didn't want to go and snope in their bedroom). Anyway, he thought they were some CHEAP Canadian made speakers that were junk. Ummmmmm right.

On the plus side he showed me a pamplet for a Denon 2803 that he may purchase. There maybe hope for him yet.

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I tell ya', it gets old when someone is trying to ask an honest question and is seeking advice on his Bose system and all he get in responce is people saying how they are suprised he likes them. Honestly now, if you do not have advice leave him alone. He likes the speakers, now offer input on a center channel or one that might be a good match for his fronts even if it isn't a Bose. And no I do not own Bose I just get tired of all of these threads that trail onto nowhere.
    In responce to the original poster I would try the current Bose center and if you like it try to buy it from e-bay or something as prices will be much cheaper. If you do not like it try to find a center thats tweeter will match up with the Bose. See if places will let you audition it at home to see how it sounds. Best of luck to you.

14. Ben_Caoile

Ben_Caoile Agent

Looks like a quote from the Bose thread GrahamJW. Anywayz, I had a Bose VCS-10 amd thought it was horrible (check "Bose Wins Again" thread). My review is in AudioReview under the name rapidfire619, it's a pretty current one so it should be easy to find. As for replacing your center downstairs Mark:F how can the VCS-10 not work well the rest of your Bose Speakers? Is the VCS-10 overbaring or underpowered when compared to the rest of your system?

15. Mark:F

Looks like I take the prize for being unclear.
    1 I started out with one system with 2 big ADS speakers front and 3 radio shack 8" high realistics as the center and 2 surrounds.
    2 Needed a new setup for a different room that will be finished off by April. Fronts and surrounds had to be white and wall mounted. Shopping around led only to Bose so I bought 251's for fronts and 161's for surround. I got the VCS-10 perhaps not knowing any better, but I was too lazy to shop around.
    3 Decided to try the VCS-10 with my current system, replacing the realistic speaker. It seems to sound good, and test patterns have it outputting at what seems to be an equal to the ADS fronts whereas the realistic needed boosting. What should I expect for $30 anyway?
    4 I decided to look around for center speaker opinions, not sure whether I'd put the new center speaker with my original system or with the new system. Perhaps I'd even get another VCS-10 but I doubted it because I knew I'd get better ideas from this forum.
    5 Knowing the prevailing anti-Bose feelings here I titled the thread as I did to attract the most response...so no pity is necessary for my being slammed (thanks anyway Evan)and it's all worked out well, I think. Thanks to the helpful responses I'm getting a Polk CSi30 for the original system and will have the VCS-10 work with the other Bose speakers.
    I really do thank all of you who were involved.

16. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I think that center uses something like 2" drivers? The reproduction of sound for the midrange on those things must be terrible. Not to mention how thin it's going to sound. I've heard the VCS-10 and I thought it was ok. Comparing it to any other center I have heard, night and day difference.

Look around for other centers. Everything else in the beginner level is going to crush that thing.

17. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If you have Bose and like them, then match the center to the rest of them. If you hear something that you like more than the Bose then sell the Bose and get what you want. But for now, just match the center to the rest of the speakers and get the Bose center.

18. Mark:F

Chris...now I'm confused. The Polk has 2 5 1/4 " drivers and a 1" silk/polymer dome tweeter, plus a rear firing port.Were you referring to the Bose or the Polk having 2" drivers?
    Cabreau...I think we're saying the same thing. Appreciate your input.

19. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"And no I do not own Bose I just get tired of all of these threads that trail onto nowhere."

Evan, I absolutely agree with everything in you post except "trail onto nowhere." They actually all go to the same place - angrily denouncing Bose and anyone who would own them.

I don't own Bose either, but I do feel sorry for those who post here with any question regarding their products.