What's new

'Live Free or Die Hard' Not Unrated on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Will rent the SD first; if it's "better" than the PG-13 version, I won't buy the Blu edition.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'll be going format neutral this month, and I can guarantee that I will NOT be purchasing this BD.

Not until we get an unrated version in High Def.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

I'm not sure about that word not being used previously in the film, but even if not, my understanding is in order to get a PG-13 rating from the MPAA:

- you can say "Mother"
- you can say "F***er"
- but you cannot say them one right after the other (except maybe in reverse order).

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm reasonably confident that we'll get the unrated version on BD here in the UK, but equally sure that it'll be region coded.

Will K

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot, Fox. At least that'll be 30 bucks I can spend on something else.

This is particularly irritating as this was a title I was looking forward to having being new to the BD world. I did enjoy the theatrical version, but I want the full-blooded version the filmmakers intended to match the rest of the series.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just asking a hypothetical question, why is everyone automatically thinking the unrated version will have more blood or "F" words. Maybe it's nothing.

I know unrated usually means that there's more mature content, swearing and gunplay in this case is likely, but has there been an official confirmation? I read the link above and it didn't say what the unrated version was. And I don't believe it listed a run time for both versions did it?

I think the only time the film needed an extra bit was at the end when he said Yippe Ki yay, Mother F.....

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Never heard of that. The only "standards" I'm aware of are summarized nicely on wikipedia:

If a film uses "one of the harsher sexually derived words" (such as fuck) one to three times, it is routine today for the film to receive a PG-13 rating, provided that the word is used as an expletive and not with a sexual meaning (this was mentioned in Be Cool, when Chili Palmer complains about the movie industry. Fuck is said twice in that scene with a lot of other uses of language, giving the movie a PG-13).

An example of a film that might suggest this criteria is Waiting for Guffman, which contains mostly PG-13 (some could even argue PG) content, yet is rated R (brief strong language) because a man auditioning for a role uses fuck while quoting Raging Bull (the only time it is spoken in the movie), in a sexual sense. Exceptions may be allowed, "by a special vote of the ratings board" where the board feels such an exception would better reflect the sensibilities of American parents. A couple of exceptions were noted: rare films such as Guilty by Suspicion were allowed as many as nine uses of the word; probably due to the precedent set in the 1970s by politically important films such as All the President's Men.

It is a common misconception that if a movie uses fuck in a nonsexual context more than once, it will automatically receive an R rating. In reality, PG-13 movies are routinely allowed two or three uses, such as A Civil Action (which uses it at least three times), As Good As It Gets, which also uses it three times, and Rent, which uses it three times too. But there are two extreme circumstances so far: Gunner Palace has 42 uses of the word, 2 used sexually and The Hip Hop Project has 17 uses. Both films were rated PG-13 on appeal.

Spaceballs uses the word once and is rated PG. The same goes for Beetlejuice, Crocodile Dundee and Big. (despite the first two being rated 15 by the BBFC).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Hopefully the Japanese or Korean release will be the original intended version, not the version Fox took the scissors to. I'll buy it from Asia if it's uncut since region coding won't be a problem.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Now That is a nice set!

If it LFDH is uncut in the Japanese version, Fox will have some explaining to do AND I'll be importing that set.
We are on the cutting edge, paying premium prices, content providers should not be short changing us like this when they release the uncut on standard DVD.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
In retrospect, I watched D-H 3 last weekend and the difference in 3 & 4 is like night and day has far has the tone of the 2 films :frowning: 2 completely feeling movies, Willis was wrought and tough in 3, now he is like a Barney on steroids in 4, IMHO.

Unless I messed it, when in the u.s. release date?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Actually, I liked the theatrical cut of this film a great deal. It is a definite buy for me.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I haven´t seen the film yet (not sure what version was shown in Europe?), but I´ll definitely pass if the "Unrated"-version is released in the other areas (in HD, I mean). Fox price range won´t stop me, but the lack of extra blood will! Since the Euro-versions are probably "Region B", I have my eyes on the Korean/Hong Kong-markets..

Thanks for this tip, I have to warn my friend also (he´s very eager to pre-order everything..).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, it's just what it was called outside the US, where "Live Free or Die" has little cultural meaning (although I'm not sure a pun off New Hampshire's state motto is that big a deal here, anyway).

Heh, from what I've gathered, the blood in the unrated version is a CGI creation just for the "unrated" version, not something that was cut out. Honestly, I don't know where that would improve the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks