What's new

Live Concerts - DVD - Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I'm not sure if you were joking (because of the winky) but actually I do think it has some pretty damn good sound, both 5.1 and PCM stereo, the PCM is fairly good but the 5.1 DD definitely opens up the soundstage very nicely.

I'll second The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, the second disc of Jimi Plays Monterey & Shake: Otis at Monterey also features some fine audio....although throughout all of the discs I have to say that the rear surround applause effects do sound a bit canned most of the time...but that is very minor.

I wish I could say the same for Woodstock....the 5.1 DD track is OK but the entire film and soundtrack need an upgrade as this was one of the very first DVD's out there...give it an SE WB! The DTS track featured in theaters during it's re-release around...was it 94?...sounded great, but this being WB I seriously doubt we will ever hear that.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The recent U2 DVDs (Boston, Slane Castle) are very good-sounding as well, which is quite a welcome change from the anemic sound of the Sydney ZooTV show and the grungy sound of the PopMart Mexico City show.

I'll definitely second the aforementioned Aimee Mann disc and both Springsteen discs. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gov't Mule's Deepest End, which is a 3-disc DVD/CD set. Great video quality, superb (as usual) audio quality, and some absolutely knockout performances...

While I like the Coldplay Live set, the quality leaves a little to be desired. Video is extremely grainy (this is probably intentional), and the audio typifies what we're used to in live recordings, i.e. not very crisp with that weird live slapback sound.

The Bowie disc is absolutely thunderous...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
But there are four on the Amsterdam dvd, right? Steve L, David Paich, Bobby Kimball and Mike Porcaro? Simon Phillips was also a worthy replacement for the dearly departed Jeff Porcaro. In any event, it's among my top 5 dvd concerts along with Steely Dan's Two Against Nature, Zoom by ELO, Farewell Tour Number One from the Eagles (replacing the Hell Freezes Over dvd) and the best of the best, Boz Skaggs Greatest Hits Live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks