What's new

Live-action movies look bad, but not computer animation (1 Viewer)

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Having a progressive-scan DVD player and an HDTV-ready set, I played several live-action movie DVDs and notice the macroblocking and blurred picture. The problems did not appear on computer-animated scenes or movies.

I calibrated my TV with Avia with the best of my abilities, but even that did not help the apperance of my live-action films. Now what could be wrong?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
ThiK:

Tell us specifically what kind of DVD player and monitor you have. Then state specifically how you have connected the player to the monitor.

Some DVDs exhibit pixelation artifacts, but most do not.

Also describe how you've set up the player and the monitor.

JB

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
Jack, as you insist:

The TV I own is the Samsung 27" DynaFlat HDTV-ready monitor, model TXM2797HF.

The DVD player I own is the Panasonic DVD-RP82.

The component cable I use is Monster Cable Video 3. Length 1.5 m.

I connect the RP82 to the TXM2797HF through a component cable for the best picture quality.

I enabled "Progressive Out" on my DVD player and on the player's Picture Menu, I changed the picture mode to "N" (Normal); the video output to "480P"; the transfer mode to "Auto1"; and left the H position to "0."

I changed the TV Aspect to "16:9" as most of the DVDs I use are anamorphic. Since anamorphic discs will squeeze the picture, I use the TV's remote control to change the picture size from "Normal" to "Wide" so it will appear in letterbox form.

Remember that the pixelation appears on live-action films or scenes, not on computer-animated scenes or objects.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Thik,

I can't speak directly from experience with either the particular TV or player you have, but it really sounds to me like there could be a problem either in the TV or with the DVD player. Generally speaking, direct-view analog TVs should be able to accurately reproduce the colors in the video signals they receive. Unfortunately, the feature list on the Samsung Web site says that your TV includes a fancy digital video signal processor.

Live action movies have more subtle gradations between their color tones than animations have. Your description is consistant with a limited number of values being produced for the various color intensities. In other words, as if the digital convertors aren't producing as many levels as they should be. Either the DACs in the DVD could be at faolt or the ADCs in the TV.

I'd suggest trying to borrow a different (inexpensive?) DVD player to see if it produces a better image. If the image is no different, then the problem is in the TV.

I hope this helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks