Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Little Women

Genre: Drama, Romance

Director: Greta Gerwig

Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Eliza Scanlen, Florence Pugh, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Timothée Chalamet, James Norton, Louis Garrel, Bob Odenkirk, Chris Cooper, Abby Quinn, Hadley Robinson

Release: 2019-12-25

Plot: Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trailer just dropped for Greta Gerwig's new adaptation of Little Women. I think it looks pretty great. I'm a big fan of Lady Bird and can't wait to see what Gerwig does with this one. Also, what a cast!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I hope this does well and doesn't get buried with the other recent versions of this story. There was a 2017 BBC adaptation and a 2018 film version.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ve only seen the 1994 version at my wife’s behest. She owned it on VHS and says it was one of her most watched movies growing up. I actually liked it a lot and still haven’t seen any other version. The cast list looks impressive so I’m sure we’ll see this one.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I only knew about the BBC one because I liked Maya Hawke in Stranger Things and the BBC Little Women was one of the only other things she has done.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Winona Ryder one is pretty great, so I don't know that we need another adaptation. But I love a good period film, and I love most of this cast, so I'll definitely check this one out.

The 2018 film version was a modern day retelling targeted to the Christian market.

Interesting that at the end of a very female empowerment-driven trailer, the two male stars get top billing over all of the female stars, including the three-time Oscar nominee in the lead role:
littlewomen-credits.jpg

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Another version of Little Women...why? Sorry, but I've always loved the book and have adored the Hepburn B&W, glossy MGM mid-forties reboot, and, of course, the superb 1994 Gillian Anderson update, which I consider the definitive adaptation of this time-honored tale. If only for these three movies we would already have quite enough of the March sisters to recommend. But there have been at least 10 movies and no less than 8 TV adaptations. Do we really need yet another version? Just asking.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Winona Ryder one is pretty great, so I don't know that we need another adaptation. But I love a good period film, and I love most of this cast, so I'll definitely check this one out.

The 2018 film version was a modern day retelling targeted to the Christian market.

Interesting that at the end of a very female empowerment-driven trailer, the two male stars get top billing over all of the female stars, including the three-time Oscar nominee in the lead role:
View attachment 61787
Actors listed in alphabetical order.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Just curious if anyone is in the know, when a bulk of the cast in listed alphabetically, does that mean that everyone has the exact same salary?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just curious if anyone is in the know, when a bulk of the cast in listed alphabetically, does that mean that everyone has the exact same salary?

I don't know, but I doubt it. They're still billed in non-alphabetical order during the trailer itself, just the end is alphabetical.

Also, social media reactions are up and mostly are very positive.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.co...e-perfect-in-greta-gerwigs-unique-adaptation/

In other news, the program director at my local arthouse announced yesterday while introducing another screening that they have booked a 35mm print of Little Women to open the same day as its wide release in major chains. I'm not sure how many prints the studio will be releasing, but we are getting one, and I doubt we're the only ones. I was already going to go see this anyway, but getting to see it in 35mm will be an extra cherry on top.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
What a great cast! I will see this adaptation, but since the 1994 version is one of my favorite movies of all time, it will be almost impossible for this one to equal that one directed by Gillian Armstrong. I also love Thomas Newman's Oscar-nominated score....

But Alexandre Desplat is a wonderful composer too.

Reactions: PMF

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Amazing to me that there hasn't been a post or thought on this movie in almost two months and within days of it opening (while sitting at a RT score in the mid 90's). Am I really in that small a minority of those looking forward to this?

The cast looks like it could be one of the strongest ever comprised for this material (Odenkirk as the father!?).
I do have serious doubts about deviating from a non-linear narrative. It's a bold move, but I can't help but think it will hurt the material, not juice it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazing to me that there hasn't been a post or thought on this movie in almost two months and within days of it opening (while sitting at a RT score in the mid 90's). Am I really in that small a minority of those looking forward to this?

The cast looks like it could be one of the strongest ever comprised for this material (Odenkirk as the father!?).
I do have serious doubts about deviating from a non-linear narrative. It's a bold move, but I can't help but think it will hurt the material, not juice it.
I'm not very interested in this latest film version. That doesn't mean I won't ever see it, but it won't be in a movie theater. Interesting that this film is about four sisters coming of age during the American Civil War, yet, there isn't one American actress playing any of the sisters. That's a small problem for me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Gerwig does an amazing job giving this old story new life, particularly with the structure of the screenplay jumping around in time and picking up the pace and some updated dialogue and themes. I've never seen most of the adaptations, but I really enjoyed this version. Beautifully shot, as well. And this has to be Laura Dern's year for being in everything.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cool! What did you do?

My arthouse is getting an actual 35mm film print of this and I can't wait to see it tomorrow.
You're lucky, I haven't seen anything projected on film for the last 5 or 6 years when an old movie palace was showing Pulp Fiction on 35mm. A few months later that theater switched to digital and hasn't shown any film since.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks