Little to no sub activity with stereo source material

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jonathan L, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Jonathan L

Jonathan L Stunt Coordinator

This is probably horribly stupid, but I'm still trying to get the hang of all of this. I have a Sony SA-WM500 connected to the pre-out of my Denon 1604. When playing 5.1/6.1 material, everything sounds great. However, when playing plain old stereo material such as the radio or a normal music CD, I get VERY little to no sub activity. I have all speakers configured as "small" on the receiver, subwoofer set to "yes/on", and the crossover on the receiver set to 100Hz.

I tried pushing the x-over up to 150 but it did not make a difference. I dug through the rest of the options on the receiver and didn't see anything else that seemed obvious, and I'm not the type to just change something to see what it does, if I don't know what it is [​IMG]

I appreciate any suggestions. It's probably something obvious that I overlooked, but then again I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer [​IMG]

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Sometimes a receiver has speaker settings for every mode, so be sure you have told it subwoofer = yes and speakers = small in stereo mode.

Many receivers have two stereo modes, for example my Integra 6.2 has "Stereo" and "Direct". Both are stereo modes, but in Direct there is no sub output. Or, your receiver may have a "bypass" control that bypasses most electronics for a purer signal path in stereo, which also shuts off the sub.

3. Jonathan L

Thanks for the suggestions Rick, I will take a look at that when I get home. I went through the docs for the receiver pretty thoroughly and don't recall seeing anything about the "bypass" you mentioned, but I'm gonna grab the PDF and read through again.

Thanks!

4. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Are your front speakers full-range models? The reason I ask is that I had the same issue with stereo sound. After adjusting every setting and knob five times and pulling the rest of my hair out, I learned that my floorstanding speakers handled almost all of the base (above 30Hz). The sub didn't have any work to do [​IMG]

5. Jonathan L

Hi Dave. No, I've got the JBL NSP1-II set hooked up with everything...they definitely aren't handling the bass in lieu of the sub [​IMG]

6. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I have the same problem with my Denon. The stereo mode seems to lack bass. My other gripe is that I cant switch it to 3 channel stereo. [​IMG]

7. Jonathan L

edit: Mods, this thread may have drifted into Receiver Forum territory, please move it if you deem it necessary. Thanks!

Alright, version 2 of this post. [​IMG]

Rick, the 1604 does have a direct mode, and everything works perfectly in it. Unfortunately it's not really an option since everything also sounds flat as hell [​IMG]. (and I'm not buying any more equipment right now [​IMG])

Now, in stereo mode, I (accidentally) found that the sub IS getting a signal...however, for some reason, the signal appears to be attenuated to the point that I have to crank the sub all the way up to match the level of the mains. I can't fathom why this is happening, since the I normally have the sub set around 30%-40% for DD/DTS, and it's loud as hell.

Please tell me that I'm a dunce and am missing something simple...I'm not keen on the idea of having to seperately adjust the sub's level depending on the source material, but if that's the way it's supposed to work, well, you learn something new every day. [​IMG]

Thanks for all your help!

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Moved to 'Receivers, etc' as requested by the original poster. Cees

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

your denon has separate speaker levels for the different modes. Try setting the volume (channel level on your reveiver) for the sub while in stereo mode. Try not to go to much over zero.

10. Jonathan L

Hi John,

As far as I can tell from the documentation, as well as tooling around in the receiver's configuration, the 1604 only has a single global config, and not seperate configs for each mode.

11. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Crank the sub up for stereo music turn it down for movies. Usually is a volume setting for the sub or LFE mix setting.

Jason

12. Jonathan L

Jason, I think that's what I need to do. Thanks everyone for your help [​IMG]