What's new

Little Rock Neighborhoods? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So we're here in LR looking at houses. After one day, we've found that decent quality in a neighborhood we like is going to cost. We only saw one house in WLR we really liked. It was in Capital Lakes Estates, it was off a road named Orbit or something like that?

Tomorrow we're going over to Maumelle to check the Country Club of AR and Maumelle Valley Estates.

If anyone has any opinions of these areas, I'd appreciate hearing them. Like has the neighborhood been going up or down, are they likely to at least hold their value? What are the pluses and minuses of living in that neighborhood. Crime?

thanks.

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator
As I stated in a related thread, I recommend looking as far west as possible. The Chenal/LaMarche/Margeaux areas are nice if you're looking for a nice big "cookie-cutter" kind of home. The neighborhoods are wonderful if you can swing it. Virtually no crime, and IMO, the home values will only rise with the influx of high-end commercial property becoming available in those areas.

The Maumelle area isn't bad. It has a couple of rough spots, but it gets nicer as it draws closer to Morgan. If I remember correctly, the areas that you're looking at are actually past Morgan, which is a good thing! Things seem pretty well-kept and the crime isn't anything worth mentioning on that side of town.

Also, what are you looking for in a home? That would dictate the area as well. Most of the newer neighborhoods are going to have that "cookie-cutter" look to them. Not a bad thing, but if you're looking for character, you'll have to look elsewhere. Price is another big factor (yes, I'm wearing my Captain Obvious cape), as well as location. Feel free to PM me with some details (if you don't want to make them publice). I'm more than happy to help!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Actually, we prefer new or newer homes. Sorry I haven't replied before, its hard to check email on the road.

We will be looking in Maumelle today at a bunch of houses.

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny,

Just thought I would mention Cabot as an option. Property is very inexpensive there, but you still have a 30-45 minute commute to Little Rock. Not too bad if you ask me. You can get twice the house in Cabot than you can in Little Rock, but the norther Maumelle area is about the same. You're definitely doing the right thing by keeping that area as an option.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Little Rock was featured on an HBo special for having the most gangs per capita but that was over a decade ago when Clinton was governor. I lived in Hot Springs for a while and made the drive to Little Rock. Cabot is not a bad drive and a nice community.

Sherwood used to be really nice and had the most well known cops around in the area. They were like an overprotective father :) Has it went down hill in the past 5 years?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, we've picked out a house in Maumelle (Country Club AR). We're in the process of working out the details. Cabot was further than we wanted to go, though I'm sure there would have been some good values there.

We had previously lived in LR for about 12 years, so we know what its like to live there. We were just wanting to get up-to-date opinions of neighborhoods in LR.

When we're back in Jacksonville and I have more time I give more detail why we are moving.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
My aunt and uncle have lived in Maumelle for about 10 years. They love it. My uncle is a big golfer, he lives across the street from the course.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll bet he loves it, being that close to his favorite past time. I have to confess I'm not a golfer, but when we were in LR we lived in the CCofA and liked it very much.

So we really are returning home.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, we've returned from our trip to LR. We have an accepted contract on a home in the Country Club of Arkansas (in Maumelle). It will close at the end of the month and we plan on moving the week of July 10.

Oh, I hate moving.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Nope. Maumelle is no where near those. Its the neighborhood we used to live in. In fact, I could probably walk from the new house to the hold house in about 15 minutes.

I was just thinking, we are using the same moving company (A-1 Razorback) for both moves. We'll have paid them for 2 long-distance moves that end up with us only a mile or so away from where we started.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We moved from LR to Jax because Fidelity Financial relocated my wife's job there. It was a good paying job and we thought it was important enough to move for.

After one year in Jax, Fidelity laid off her entire department. You think they could have waited a year and then lay her off in LR.

So here we are in Jax, unemployed, and so far, no job. We finally decided that employment prospects were better in LR than here. Combine that with the fact that we had lived in LR for over 12 years. Well, when we left LR, we were surprised by how much we missed it.

In LR, everything is near by, even more so when comparing it to Jax. I read somewhere that Jax is the largest city in the US by area. It is so spread out and gas is so expensive. We also have a network of friends in LR.

So, LR here we come.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I just looked at about 30 houses first hand with my girlfriend in Little Rock. Maumelle is nice and Cabot and Lonoke offer better value but we she does not want to fight the commute daily. She looked at maybe 15 more that I didn't see before settling on a home. I liked the houses in West Little Rock real well and I saw a few in North Little Rock I liked as well. I was familiar with real estate in SW Missouri and surprised to see prices as high as we found in Little Rock. $90 to $100 per square foot was common for newer modest homes around 2,000 sq. feet in west Little Rock.

Chris

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't think we even saw a house for $90 per sq ft. Little Rock is a nice place to live and people are discovering that. When we first moved to LR about 14 years ago, we bought a very nice house for less than $60 sq ft.

You didn't say what area you eventually settled on.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Just south of Hinson, west of Napa Valley. An older home, about 20 years old, 2700 sq ft.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks