Little Monsters

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AnthonyC, Apr 5, 2004.

1. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Is anyone else getting the Little Monsters DVD tomorrow? If you do, please post reviews for picture and sound; I've been waiting a decade for this release.

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Me too, but I'm not picking it up, because everything I can find states it will be BIG FAT FULL-FRAME.

My guess is that they've likely recycled an old VHS master. I hope it's not true...

This was much darker than the usual children's movie, and I would certainly love to see it again.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I prefer widescreen myself, but I know that with a movie like this, which had less than outstanding receipts and reviews, I'll have to take what I can get.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yup. Full frame. Nope. Won't be picking it up. [​IMG]

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I was really psyched when I read that this was coming out, but then I saw full-frame only...[​IMG]

Oh well.

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    And one can only assume that MGM is using the same transfer that Artisan was planning on using for their release of this film until it was pulled due to the rights changing hands. And we all know how Artisan's transfers usually are for catalog titles....

7. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I don't see a reason to completely boycott the release of a film you like just because of the aspect ratio. As I said, I do prefer widescreen releases, but there are some movies that they will not, under any circumstances, put much work into them other than transferring and including a special feature or two. This is one of them.

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    It's simply a matter of principle. I know not everyone will agree, but in my case there are simply too many other releases presented in their OAR that I want to pick up and I would rather use my money to support those.

This is why I still don't own Happy Gilmore.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And that's why I still don't own The Sting. My wife--who is not a big movie/HT fan like me--asks me all the time why I don't have a DVD of The Sting.

I have been sorely tempted on a number of occasions to pick up the full frame version. But, won't.

And, I still don't understand: 1.) why this movie hasn't been given better treatment. and, 2.) why there isn't a bigger outcry from its fans.

I don't want to hijack your thread Anthony, but Brandon's right. It IS a matter of principle. And, the studios should be made aware that they should release their films correctly.

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I picked this up tonight. A brief review:

PICTURE: Obviously, it's full frame. The colors are dark throughout the movie. It doesn't detract from the movie, since it is a pretty dark film, but they should have used a better print. 6/10
    SOUND: Pretty good. Better than I expected; very clear, except a few lines of dialogue and some music at the intro are less audible than the rest of the movie. After that, it's reasonably decent sound. 8/10
    FEATURES: Only one feature: the original trailer. It's extremely grainy and the sound is poor. With a movie like this, I realize they weren't going to go all out with special features, but I wish they had included a little more (commentary by Howie Mandel perhaps?). 2/10 (at least they included something)
    THE MOVIE: This is an opinion of course. 10/10 There are a few dirty jokes I don't remember or didn't get when I first saw this movie when I was 10 or so ("Why don't you play with yourself instead?"), but now that I understand them, I'm a lot less confused than I used to be.

11. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I was really looking forward to getting this as well, until I learned that it would be fullscreen. There are quite a few I have refused to get because of this, but that list would be too long.