What's new

Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Following on from my previous question, after what numerous posters have said here and elsewhere I'm wondering whether to continue buying the BDs even beyond season 4. I may well continue to season 6 but it seems like there's some pretty universally accepted shark jumping after that. Even the intermittent 'better' later episodes all seem to come with caveats.

Those first four seasons appear to be the bedrock on which LHotP's stellar reputation is built. Certainly, had the series actually begun somewhere around seasons 5–6, I seriously doubt it would be as much loved, discussed – or even released on BD – as it is today.
At the risk of opening another can of worms here, perhaps the above was the reasoning someone at Lionsgate had applied in (initially) releasing Season 7 on DVD only? I still think Blu-ray was the correct way to go, but I now do recall some of those later episodes being pretty bad. By the last season, I wasn't even watching the show anymore, although to be fair, outside factors might have also been in play at that time.

CHEERS! :)

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
But right then something weird happens to the audio. A rousing cheer goes up from the crowd...but it is hardly heard on the disc. Then the townspeople start signing Onward Christian Soldiers...And the singing is nearly completely muted, yet the foley effects are loud and pronounced, the footsteps on the wooden bridge, rustling of clothing fabric, etc. I'd go as far to say that it seems like an obvious authoring issue.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It is an authoring issue that others have noticed that only effects the English track. If you switch over to the French or Spanish track at that point, the singing can be heard perfectly. I will eventually look into finding out how to contact Lionsgate to get a replacement disc.

Maybe I'll pull down Harvest of Friends to wash out the taste The Last Farewell has left in my mouth. :blink:

Either that or the pilot movie should be a good way to wash the taste out of your mouth. I've read somewhere that the original plan was to only do four seasons, but I don't know if that is true or not. Michael and the other writers probably did most of what they wanted to do in earlier seasons and probably ran out of fresh ideas. On top of that, Michael dealt with a bunch of stuff in his personal life in later seasons with the divorce and everything. It seems like the writers didn't really know what to do once the kids started growing up. They felt the need to bring in a bunch of new kids, but didn't do much with them. They missed a huge opportunity in making Laura and Almanzo the moral center, they didn't know what to do with Mary after she went blind, and they probably could've done a lot more with Nellie and Percival.

I would've rather they aged Nellie and Laura's kids like other shows do and make them rivals over what ended up happening with all the adopted kids. Jenny and Nancy's rivalry would've worked better with better writing and if Jenny was an aged Rose and Nancy was Nellie and Percival's aged twin daughter. As it was, they were just adopted kids trying to imitate the originals and the audience didn't care about them the way they would've if they were Laura and Nellie's biological children. Of course,Nellie would've had to keep some of her mean streak to Percival's frustration and Nancy would have to be more cunning instead of fake crying and saying everybody hated her all the time.

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
At the risk of opening another can of worms here, perhaps the above was the reasoning someone at Lionsgate had applied in (initially) releasing Season 7 on DVD only? I still think Blu-ray was the correct way to go, but I now do recall some of those later episodes being pretty bad. By the last season, I wasn't even watching the show anymore, although to be fair, outside factors might have also been in play at that time.

It's possible they decided from the beginning to only do the first six seasons since many of the hard core fans love the Laura and Almanzo storyline in season six and a lot of people don't like the last three seasons. That being said, I think it's a bad idea to start any popular series on Blu without finishing it. If anything, they should have released the complete series for $250 at the beginning, brought it down to $200 if pre-orders weren't good, and then later released the individual seasons one at a time every three months.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Has the standalone movies set been released yet? If someone could check that, we'd be able to see if they've bothered to fix that problem. If the problem exists even there, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them about a replacement disc.

As for the worth of the later seasons, seasons 1-3 (And the pilot movie) account for 15 of my 24 favorites (The topic of favorite episodes appeared in the past and I made a list of mine). So I'd consider seasons 1-3 as the must-haves, seasons 4-6 don't have as many classic episodes but are still good and worth acquiring, and 7-9 are generally disappointing.

And the episodes I enjoy in the last three seasons have appeared on the worst episodes lists in this thread, so even those probably wouldn't interest most people [The In-Laws (S7), The Legend of Black Jake (S8), Wave of the Future (S8), and The Older Brothers (S9)]. I enjoy the comedies as much as the dramas, where as many Little House fans prefer the dramas by a wide margin.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is an authoring issue that others have noticed that only effects the English track. If you switch over to the French or Spanish track at that point, the singing can be heard perfectly. I will eventually look into finding out how to contact Lionsgate to get a replacement disc.

Thanks, Toby. It's really a mess. One of those "how the heck did they ever let this go out the door in this condition?" kind of things.

I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

I'll have to check out the other audio tracks...

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
Has the standalone movies set been released yet? If someone could check that, we'd be able to see if they've bothered to fix that problem. If the problem exists even there, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them about a replacement disc.

The movie DVD set doesn't come out until September 13. It might be hard to find somebody who actually buys the set since the movies were included with seasons 8 and 9. Maybe the couple people who do will leave reviews on Amazon. It's just another case of Lionsgate leaving easy money on the table since the series was remastered just like when they released all nine seasons on Digital HD dirt cheap the same day they released season three on Blu-ray and DVD. Why include the movies as a bonus on seasons 8 and 9 if you plan on releasing them as a separate set? Why not release the entire series up front in a box set since all the remastering had already been completed before season 1 was released? They made so many weird moves that I bet the profits from the entire remastering were only half of what they could have been if it had been done with some common sense.

Thanks, Toby. It's really a mess. One of those "how the heck did they ever let this go out the door in this condition?" kind of things.

I'll be curious to hear what you find out.

I'll have to check out the other audio tracks...

You are welcome. I wanted to make sure the season nine Blu-ray was in my hands before I complained about an error on season 8, but in the time since I received season 9, I haven't got around to bringing this issue to their attention. I will have to check the case and website to find out who to contact about the issue.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And this is why they still make both chocolate and vanilla, Bryan. As much as I like the "idea" of "The Legacy," I couldn't get past the fact that Charles strayed so dramatically far from the core of his being--that is, simply put, to put God and family first and think that, somehow, moving far away in order to make a few bucks was what he needed to do to cement his legacy.

And of all the episodes that could have benefited from a Melissa Guilbert voiceover at the end, that one would have been it...as Laura (who went on to write the Little House books of course) could have explained how his legacy would be cemented for generations to come because of the effect he had on her.

But straying so far from his core beliefs and having to--at episode's end--thank Caroline for helping him see things clearly just defied my whole understanding of the character of Charles Ingalls. Great story idea in examining the conflicts between how we can value our individual legacies...but poorly executed here. It was much better realized in Harvest of Friends.

The Legacy gets a thumbs down from me. :thumbsdown:

Fair enough. You don't like it. I do, and I will explain a little more as to why.
SPOILERS FOR " The Legacy" below!!!

The boss at my old job passed away unexpectedly at age 53 a few years ago. He was a good friend, the best boss I ever had. I enjoyed working with him, and he actually made work fun. Great guy with everything from humble attitude toward life to a strong moral ethic that made him the go to person when things in life got tough (a great conversationalist).
When he died I was in shock. Numb. I couldn't believe this person with so much to offer was just suddenly gone off the earth forever
I felt bad for his two daughters, and his wife. But at the same time I was left with the age old philosophical question 'Why Are We here?'
'What does all this mean?' For a good week after his death Those questions occupied my brain, and let me tell you they were quite strong. I rethought my position in life, what I could do to better myself, and others around me.

So, back to 'The Legacy'
I don't think Charles rethinking his life after the death of an old friend, and contemplating his place in life is not at all out of character as I can certainly relate to a real life experience that made me feel the exact same. Woodworking was always a passion of Charles, and a dream job to make good money at instead of the uncertainty of farming is another story point that made perfectly good sense to me.
Traveling far from home until he got situated, with his family to join him later was no more out of the ordinary than the few other dozen times he traveled for work and left the girls(and Albert). and the ending when the couple at the barn auction didn't know who the initials of the table belonged to was quite powerful. Of course, we the viewer knew who made it but a mystery to the couple who only knew it was a well crafted piece of furniture. I thought that was a nice touch.
This still stands as a high point of the entire series for me. And sooo much needed for the overall poor writing of many of the later season episodes. It helps elevate them, if for only a bit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And THAT, too, is fair enough, Bryan! :D

TV is art. Art is subjective.

And that is one of the reasons I shy away from answering questions like Brent's from a page or two ago:

LHotP is likely my fave TV show ever, but even so I didn't stick with it to the end of the line on its original run or any subsequent airings. I don't plan to do so now either, but when do you think the law of diminishing returns really sets in; when should I stop picking up the series sets?
What's the quality of the last three films like; presumably their standard is higher than the episodes which preceded them? Though that'd be annoying if so: I'd have to pick up the last two series just to get them in HD!

I'm sure there are some people who cherish the final few seasons of Little House--for whatever reason. I hate to recommend anyone avoid something without checking it out themselves because, who knows, they might think it's great!

=====================

One last comment on The Legacy...I come at the story after having had my own near-death experience in 2014. I am one of those, I suppose, who has spent more time than others pondering the question of why we are here (most especially, why I didn't die--given only a 20% chance at survival). And even with all that, I still think Charles should've had a better grip on the situation. But I totally get, too, why you like the episode. Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes. :thumbsup:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I've edited my OP to include a couple of lengthy lists detailing all the LHotP remasters' flaws and the original DVDs' extra features. I'd appreciate any additional input and clarification, especially where I've placed emboldened question marks. I'll then re-edit as applicable. Thanks. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The dangers of "episode jumping" on season sets. I realized I skipped, an entire disc from season 2:oops: I watched 'The Runaway Caboose'(2/11/76) last night. A very thrilling episode(a bit of a slow start though) that has great stunt work, scenery, and most of all trains. My dad is a steam train nut, so I will have to show him this one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I finished the "disc I missed" from season 2.
Now, I have been a LHOTP fan all my life. I watched it first run from season 5-, and every time it was in syndication(TBS especially) I watched the episodes many times.

So I am completely bewildered that the disc I passed up accindently watching through the BD sets through the first time contained 5 episodes I have never seen in my entire life!!
-The Runaway Caboose
-Troublemaker
-The Long Road Home
-For My Lady
-Centennial

All good episodes(Troublemaker was just OK I guess), each one a treat as a first time viewing.

I'll go as far as to say this whole thing has been uncanny.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Or the semi-modern caboose, for that matter. :)
I'm terrible. I don't know one train from another, and trains are my dad's passion. You would think that some of his knowledge on old trains would rub off, but no.

I want to watch the episode with him who will pick it out right away(and note it). He is a wealth of knowledge on old trains down to the builders plate.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched an episode from season 9-'Little Lou' aired Oct, 25, 1982 originally.

Written by Michael Landon, directed by Victor French, and starring Billy Barty. What could go wrong? Well, not much other than Mrs. Olsen being a little more terrible than normal. I loved the ending, and especially the resolution with Mrs. Olsen and "Little" Lou:

I remember this one watching it first run when I was just a kid. It has been a long time, but certain scenes snapped right back from my memory after I watched them(the well/Nancy).

For a season 9 episode it is a diamond in the rough.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I watched an episode from season 9-'Little Lou' aired Oct, 25, 1982 originally.

Written by Michael Landon, directed by Victor French, and starring Billy Barty. What could go wrong? Well, not much other than Mrs. Olsen being a little more terrible than normal. I loved the ending, and especially the resolution with Mrs. Olsen and "Little" Lou:

I remember this one watching it first run when I was just a kid. It has been a long time, but certain scenes snapped right back from my memory after I watched them(the well/Nancy).

For a season 9 episode it is a diamond in the rough.
I remember really enjoying that particular episode! :)

Due to higher price points for the individual Blu-ray Seasons (Why in heck won't Lionsgate issue a Series Blu-ray set, anyway?) in Canada, I may eventually have to cave in, and get the Complete Series Lionsgate DVD set, as I can only withstand my wife's DVD is fine pleas for so long! :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks