1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brent Reid, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Brent:

IIRC I started complaining in this thread about a dropoff in quality as early as season 5! But I'd say things got really bad in Season 7.

But since I have yet to complete season 8 and even start season 9, I am hesitant to say there's not a good reason to see it through. And I recall only broad images of what happens in the final three movies. I need to see those again, too, to be able to say with any authority towards a reasoned opinion. :D And you'll probably get a number of differing opinions here...what with it all being subjective as to what's good and what's not.

But, man...I could go on for days about those season 8 episodes I just suffered through :laugh: (enumerated above!)!

Brent Reid likes this.
  2. t2smith

t2smith Stunt Coordinator

Toby
    You still have "The Older Brothers" to look forward to in season nine along with a few others from that season that will probably be added to your dislike list. I think my personal bottom two episodes in the entire series would be "The Older Brothers" and "Halloween Dream" from season six. "Gambini the Great" and "The Legend of Black Jack" joined the two I just mentioned in the bottom ten episodes of the entire series according to the following page. https://littlehousetvshow.com/episode-rankings/

Off the top of my head, a few of my favorites from season 8 are "A Christmas They Never Forgot", "A Promise to Keep", and "Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow." In "A Promise to Keep" you have to get past the recast of most of the Edwards family and
    his family totally turning their backs on him in his time of need. A lot of people don't care for the episode, but I love the way Laura sticks by Mr. Edwards when practically everybody including Charles has turned their backs on him

I haven't watched the movies in awhile, but if I remember correctly, "Bless All the Dear Children" was the weakest of the three. The other two were probably higher quality than most of seasons 8 and 9, but both had very sad events that I would've preferred not happen.

3. Message #823 of 911 Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I rather like The Legend of Black Jake and Wave of the Future and consider them the best episodes from that season (And The Older Brothers from season 9). I usually enjoyed their comedic episodes, even these later ones. I agree about the other episodes being duds though.

Halloween Dream though is a complete loss, which is a shame since their first Halloween episode in one of the early seasons was one of my favorites of the entire series. I rarely enjoy dream episodes and this was one of the worst.

Oliver Ravencrest likes this.
  4. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    I really like The Legend of Black Jake, very funny episode, and Wave of the Future. I prefer the comedic episodes over the deadly contagious disease ones, those are my least favourite episodes, next to Halloween Dream. I felt the quality of the series was consistently good through-out the entire run, there weren't that many episodes that I didn't like.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

See what I mean?!? :D

That's why I always find it hard to give advice on something like that. One man's treasure... :laugh:

Brent Reid likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Gambini The Great was pretty bad, but I don't think the others you mention were that bad. "A Wiser Heart' was just stupid because Eliza Jane turns into a raving nut that squashes the potential of it being a great episode. That being said there are episodes through every season that are bad to nearly unwatchable.
    Sn. 3 'Journey In The Spring' parts 1, and 2 still stands as the worst of the series for me. And ' The Godsister' from season 5 being a runner up.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm spoilerizing most of my answer because it has to do with plot lines (for those who might be going to watch it soon):

My issue with A Wiser Heart is that the smarmy teacher not only hits on Laura--knowing that she's married. But while doing so told her that it's ok because he's married too.

It was almost as if a scene was cut or something because at the end, Eliza Jane approaches the teacher to thank him for flowers (that he didn't send) and, in doing so, let on that she realized he was married. All during the episode I was screaming at Laura to let her Eliza Jane know that he was already married!

The entire episode is spent with Eliza Jane hellbent on trying to turn his fancy...even though he was married. There is no way we could ever be expected to believe her character would EVER do something like that. She would NOT bend her morals like that...even if the guy was some kind of dreamboat.

8. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I happened to view "Halloween Dream" for the first time just yesterday. Completely ridiculous.

9. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I do understand why people dislike this episode. It is basically a young boy's fantasy dream about being a hero in a Cowboys and Indians dime novel. However when he faints during the chase and Laura is pretty much the real heroine, I was convinced it must be HER dream rather than his!

10. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    For me, all of the scenes with Charles and Jonathan working on the telephone lines save the episode from being the worst episode of the series. Those could have been a good episode by themselves.

11. Message #831 of 911 Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'm not too fond of Albert, so that doesn't help Halloween Dream any, either.

What episode is Godsister? I remember them working on telephone lines, but I don't recall the specific episode. Is this the one where Carrier has an imaginary friend? I think they have bigger duds than that one. Some of the more dramatic episodes that are unpleasant and don't have much of a happy ending aren't entertaining to watch I think (like the rape episode).

I don't need an entirely happy ending and feel that it would be out of place for a dramatic tv series set on the prairie in the 19th century to not endure their fair share of hardship, but at least having the plot work out halfway well like in the blizzard episode or the one where Pa has to go find work and ends up in a stone quarry are what I prefer.

There's tragedy, but they also partially have happy endings for some of the significant characters in each episode. Nobody wins in that rape episode with the only hint of anything positive being that the rapist/murderer is brought to justice at the end with a rifle.

12. Message #832 of 911 Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Thanks for the replies. So far I've only bought the first two seasons on BD. After that I thought that if they were all going to be released, I may as well wait for the (almost) inevitable box set and sell the ones I have. Though they don't seem uniformly bad, the later seasons appear to have a much lower batting average than the early ones – and it's those that made this my fave prog ever.

Right now, I'm leaning towards picking up the first six seasons and leaving it at that. The concensus seems to be that around there is where the rot – or inconsistency, if you prefer – truly sets in.

N.B: please warn if you're going to post spoilers (thanks Mike!).

13. Bill Waits

Bill Waits Stunt Coordinator

magicman
    To be honest, I *HIGHLY* doubt there will be a boxed set anytime soon with this for the complete series on Blu Ray. I say this because the last three season are MOD while the rest are standard manufactured discs. That would mean a move to them all to MOD, with a extra box or container for all the discs, or the MOD move to regular manufacturing and to be honest, I don't see either of those two happening.

14. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    If only the rapist could have found some defense attorneys like the Prestons! Then he could have been found "not guilty" by reason of insanity after it was revealed that he had some horrible thing happen to him as a child, and then we could have had a happy ending. :lol:

Gary "just preparing myself mentally for that upcoming Defenders set - sorry, but I couldn't resist" O. :D

Ron1973, Darby67 and LeoA like this.
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Yes, season 8 has some clunkers.
    But I just watched 'The Legacy', and can tell you it is without a doubt one of my favorite episodes of the series. Now in my top 5 episodes of the entire run.

16. chrislong2

chrislong2 Agent

Chris
    Personally I think S8 is much stronger than S7. It's got some great episodes: Stone Soup, Legacy, Second Chance, Faraway Cry. And unlike some I guess, I like Gambini, Black Jake, and Wave of the Future, and even the oft-maligned He Was Only Twelve pt2. The only ep that I really don't care much for is Wiser Heart for the reasons that others have shared. But at least I could watch it. S7 has a few episodes I can't even stand to watch (esp Sylvia, which is worse than S5's Godsister to me - like hearing nails on a chalkboard).

17. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    "He was only Twelve, Pt 2" was one of the best television episodes ever done on the matter of faith and miracles. It does a beautiful job of portraying an impossible situation and a man who sincerely believes a miracle will happen even though all his well-meaning friends try to convince him he's crazy. It's as honest a portrayal of the roles of faith and reason as you''ll get on television, imho.

Gary "Little House was never afraid to tackle issues of faith, and for that reason I always gave it high marks as a series" O.

LeoA and Darby67 like this.
  18. Message #838 of 911 Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    LOL! :rolling-smiley: Instead the accused hired Adam Kendall who pleas him out for a lesser charge followed by Adam promptly leaving Walnut Grove "because of the small need for a lawyer in the quiet town" (http://littlehouse.wikia.com/wiki/Adam_Kendall). :D

I'll tell ya it's post like yours that are one of the reasons why I look forward to checking in to HTF each day. Thanks for getting my day started with a hearty chuckle, Gary. :)

Ron1973 and Gary OS like this.
  19. chrislong2

chrislong2 Agent

Chris
    Indeed. I think that same portrayal is why some people just see this episode as pure silliness/foolishness. How you feel about this episode comes down a lot to how you feel about miracles and even faith in general.

20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I don't know how often people dream that they faint--and yet the dream goes on, focusing on other people. But just the sight of Albert standing Christ-like on the runaway buckboard, while Laura lobs gunpowder at the Indians while the chubby Indian prince runs "WOO WOO WOO" across the desert is enough to make me think Albert got into the peyote.