1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brent Reid, Aug 1, 2013.

1. t2smith

t2smith Stunt Coordinator

Toby
    As a sign of encouragement, the latest Lionsgate press release mentions season 8 and 9 being available for pre-order on Blu-ray exclusively on Amazon, so we shouldn't have to worry about the listings disappearing. As for the movies, I know what happens to somebody who assumes, but I sure hope the two movies are included with season 8 so we can be done waiting for the complete series on Blu-ray. Unfortunately, the press release and the Amazon listings for the Blu-rays only specify "Bless All the Dear Children" with season 9 while not mentioning any movies with season 8.

It looks like season 9 Blu-ray is selling pretty good on Amazon. I checked and it has an Amazon Best Sellers Rank of #398 in Movies & TV and #144 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray, while the DVD is #6,415 in Movies & TV and #4858 in Movies & TV > DVD. I think the weakest season having rankings like that on Blu-ray shows that a complete series release on Blu-ray would've done really well.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I remember the season 7 Blu-rays were doing really well in the Amazon sales stats before that listing was pulled (I had posted them much earlier in this thread) and Lionsgate announced that it was only going to release season 7 on DVD.

I really don't know what they were thinking here. Those numbers seemed to indicate that people really wanted the HD releases. These sales stats on Amazon would seem to indicate the same thing.

3. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Well, I'm happy to have all 9 seasons. If I recall, since I haven't been able to keep up my viewing with the current release schedule, the show kinda went into a slump with seasons 5-7 (?), but I think I liked seasons 8 & 9 quite a bit more. Will be nice to revisit.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Caught a few minutes of this on Hallmark last night, with the first episode where Almanzo appears. I almost did a spit take when Mrs. Oleson, trying to cozy up to him as a potential suitor for Nellie, asks, "But 'Mr. Wilder' is so formal, may I call you...Zaldamo?" :lol: Well, wasn't he the one that wanted to use nicknames? ;)

Katherine MacGregor was certainly great comic relief on this show (even if the show itself is not a personal fave of mine). I remember another episode where she was travelling with the blind kids and they were crossing the river. She had on this fancy dress and huge, ridiculous hat...and ended up getting dunked in the river several times while shrieking up a storm. :rolling-smiley:

Mike Frezon likes this.
  5. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    Yep, Harriet was often over-the-top, but she never fails to make me chuckle.

Walsh61 likes this.
  6. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    got that shipping notice for the next blu ray release :D

7. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I forget now, what was the verdict on this latest release? Burned or pressed? I remember a couple of contradictory posts when people first got their hands on it, but don't remember seeing a definitive answer.

I'm well behind at this point and still have several seasons to go before deciding what route to take there.

8. t2smith

t2smith Stunt Coordinator

Toby
    The consensus between here, Amazon, and elsewhere was that they were pressed. I don't recall for sure, but I think I read somewhere that sometimes for MOD releases an initial batch of pressed discs are released, then once that batch runs out, future discs are burned.

9. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    from the copy in my hands this looks very much PRESSED , so get them quick, 50 GB disc

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm thirty minutes into episode 1 (The Reincarnation of Nellie - Part 1).

At first blush, the quality seems to be about the same as the season 7 episodes. Not quite the detailed restoration of the programs...but still solid-looking versions which are probably pretty close to the original presentation.

They are certainly much better than the season 7 DVDs I had purchased (before I knew the Blu-rays were going to be restarted). When the image is sharp, it's razor sharp. But it's not always sharp. But there's lots of details in the night/dark sequences.

So, first impressions are a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Ethan Riley and Walsh61 like this.
  11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Another thing I noticed is that they--again--changed the arrangement of the theme song for this season.

They also completely removed Melissa Sue Anderson from the entire open and had to pad the shots of Laura and Carrie running down the hill. These things seem obvious--especially because of the way they had tied Carrie's fall to the theme by inserting that specific instrumentation to highlight the fall. That is removed and the fall doesn't hit the theme in the same spot as it did the past couple of seasons.

Just the stupid things I notice as I watch these things... :D

Radioman970 and Ron1973 like this.
  12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

It is stubbornly not dipping below that $29.99 price point...

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have found it best to pre-order these as soon as they show up on Amazon. There is usually a brief period of time when they dip in price.

I got season 8 for $26.99. Not much of a difference, but...something.

Although for some reason I don't expect season 9 to likely drop at all.

14. Bill Waits

Bill Waits Stunt Coordinator

magicman
    Can someone please confirm if the two movie specials "Look Back to Yesterday" and "The Last Farewell" are included with Season 8? Season 9 had a press release of "Bless All the Dear Children", and even has a graphic of the cover stating such. The DVD's included "Look Back to Yesterday" and "The Last Farewell", but the press release for Blu Ray season 8 neglected to mention them, and the graphic for the cover didn't mention it.

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brent Reid likes this.
  16. Bill Waits

Bill Waits Stunt Coordinator

magicman
    Thank you sir. The generic graphic for Season 8 on Amazon didn't indicate such (as opposed to the Season 9 graphic).

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

You're very welcome. :thumbsup:

I was glad I could help!

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

For those who haven't yet gotten the season 7 Blu-rays:

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And now we are, amazingly, just days from the April 19th release date for the Season 9 Blu-rays. As others have said, it's just nice to have the entire series together on Blu.

But I gotta tell ya. Some of these Season 8 episodes are just outright awful. Talk about limping to the finish line!

The disc we are on right now has some of the worst episodes of the series ever: Gambini the Great, The Legend of Black Jake, Chicago, For the Love of Nancy and Wave of the Future. And the last episode on the prior disc, A Wiser Heart was just as bad. These are episodes in which characters do things out-of-character. There are HUGE plotholes (in one case, it was a situation even bigger than a plot hole--an event that was just ignored in the context of the plot). More episodes in which the regular cast wasn't even featured. Things which just didn't make sense. One has to wonder where the quality control went. The assembly line should've been shut down. I'm surprised someone didn't get hurt! ;)

My wife and I are finding these later episodes "new" to us. We don't remember them and aren't sure if that's because we didn't see them when they aired (or in re-runs) or if they are just forgettable! :D

The season 9 discs haven't even dipped below the $29.99 price point since the pre-order went live. That's too bad. But at least we'll be able to put this series to rest. :thumbsup:

Ron1973 likes this.
  20. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Hi Mike (and others),

LHotP is likely my fave TV show ever, but even so I didn't stick with it to the end of the line on its original run or any subsequent airings. I don't plan to do so now either, but when do you think the law of diminishing returns really sets in; when should I stop picking up the series sets?
    What's the quality of the last three films like; presumably their standard is higher than the episodes which preceded them? Though that'd be annoying if so: I'd have to pick up the last two series just to get them in HD!