What's new

Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ockeghem said:
Radioman,Is that the episode in which an older woman tries to tell Mary that education is not necessary? She also quoted the scriptures often to Mary to get her point across. If that's the one, it was a great episode.
I'm not James, but I can answer. Yes, that's the episode. And I agree with both of you that it's a great one!

Gary "it really does capture a strange, dark feel to go along with the theme of the episode" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary,Thanks. :) I'm planning on purchasing the entire series on blu-ray for my twelve-year old daughter sometime. I also hope to have Little House: A New Beginning and the films on blu-ray one day. She loves this series (and the books) a lot. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ockeghem said:
Radioman,

Is that the episode in which an older woman tries to tell Mary that education is not necessary? She also quoted the scriptures often to Mary to get her point across. If that's the one, it was a great episode.
That's the one! That lady was named Miss Peel. And that actress was terrific in the role! I was sad when the episode ended so soon.

anita_10.jpg

I think that's sometimes a weakness of Little House episodes, and certainly other shows like X-Files, that they get near the end and you know a resolution is coming quickly. It's kind of interesting, editing on episodes can sometimes give you way more than expected during the last 5-10 minutes. Red Dwarf, the UK comedy sci-fi classic show, was among the best at tight editing. About 25 minutes could seem like over an hour. I'd often think, how are they going to wrap this up in 7 minutes... but then it's like half the story is told in 5 minutes!! :D /ramble ramble

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
moviebuff75 said:
I wondering if they are considering releasing the remaining seasons two at a time?
Seasons 3 & 4
Seasons 5 & 6
Seasons 7 & 8
Seasons 9 & Post-Series Movies
Whichever way they are releasing the remaining seasons, the sooner the better. I hope they aren't holding off to try and increase demand so they can release the rest of the seasons at higher prices. I would pay a bit more, but nowhere near Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy prices.
Radioman970 said:
That's the one! That lady was named Miss Peel. And that actress was terrific in the role! I was sad when the episode ended so soon.

anita_10.jpg

I think that's sometimes a weakness of Little House episodes, and certainly other shows like X-Files, that they get near the end and you know a resolution is coming quickly. It's kind of interesting, editing on episodes can sometimes give you way more than expected during the last 5-10 minutes. Red Dwarf, the UK comedy sci-fi classic show, was among the best at tight editing. About 25 minutes could seem like over an hour. I'd often think, how are they going to wrap this up in 7 minutes... but then it's like half the story is told in 5 minutes!! :D /ramble ramble
I didn't watch the original airing on NBC, but we can hold out hope that the ending came quick because of missing scenes that will be added back in when the season 4 Blu-ray is released.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm slowly making my way through Season 1 and I'm really lovin' the un-cut episodes and new transfers. I'm so glad that I watched this showing growing up. It's got some really great life lessons and I don't find it nearly as sappy as some claim. Yes, it can get downright dark at times, but those times were tough and the family always stuck together. And I'm also now remembering the massive crush I had on Melissa Sue Anderson at the time...man she was a cutie!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ever wondered what it would be like if Cecil B. DeMille directed an episode of Little House? The answer, imho, is the two-part episode The Lord Is My Shepherd, which I watched for the first time with my kids today. It was actually written and directed by Michael Landon, and it certainly was epic, becoming really a Little House TV-movie. But we all thought that at times the second half was heavy-handed. I'm actually a fan of several of DeMille's movies, a fan of Little House, and a fan of Michael Landon's. And I often like shows and movies with religious themes. But this one sometimes seemed a bit much in the second half. I did enjoy Ernest Borgnine's performance. Anyway, that's just my two cents. I'm sure some other people love this one. We were entertained, but it just wasn't our favorite episode so far....

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
t2smith said:
I've definitely noticed the two schools of thought. On one hand, almost any review of the series I read online finds it a must to throw the word saccharine in there. On the other hand, I personally know people that can watch The Walking Dead with no issue but are traumatized when somebody dies in a Little House episode.
well, i think that is the difference between reality and fiction.

people can watch others getting blown to bits in cartoon or arnold-like movies.

but little house is too close to real life. so it can hit a little too close to home for comfort.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Roughly every three or four months works for me. Would be nice to have season 4 before the year is out!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Great news on Season 3! I watched one of my all-time favorites last night, "The Award". It's a Mary-centric episode and how she deals with the fall-out of accidentally starting a fire in the barn. It's a great example of how this show dealt with the little moral lessons in life. By the time Ma tracks her down at the end I was bawling like a baby!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yeah...great news. For pre-ordering, I'll stand back and watch the crazy zany things the pre-order pricing does.. then order when the time is right...

I watched the one that had Laura finding the messages in bottles coming from up stream. Excellent one. One flaw, I think... near the end it should have been that boy's father going to meet with the girl and her father NOT Mr. Ingals. At the very least, he should have gone with them and not been the one to handle that. Didn't make sense to me. But otherwise, among the top ones from Season 4.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's $24.99 at walmart. Came out 90 cents cheaper. :)

I'm going to hold off slight and see if the price drops a little more during the preorder period and then order it from one of those guys. 90 cents is 90 cents! That's a down payment on a big pack of Reese's PB Cups!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Twenty bucks a season for the tremendous video quality on this wonderful series is a real bargain! Can't heap enough praise on these releases, especially after the shoddy quality of the previous sets.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OMG...Carrie.

Worst casting choice...ever!

My wife and I are constantly making fun of that character. We can NEVER understand what she's saying.
Pa: OK, Carrie, time for you to be off to bed.

Carrie: Blah Bwah blah blah, Pa!
:biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks