1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Little help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RalphH, Jan 30, 2002.

1. RalphH

RalphH Auditioning

I am upgrading my current system (older Sony Pro-logic receiver & cheap KLH surround sound system), and am building the subwoofer. I prefer not to have a powered sub, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a receiver with an amplified sub channel. My current configuration runs from the front channel output, through the sub, & out to the front speakers. If I do this with my new set-up (different room/different speaker positions), I'll have to use a couple hundred feet of speaker wire & spend a lot of time crawling around in a blown insulation laden attic.

Are there any receivers with amplified outputs for a sub at a fairly reasonable price that someone could recommend, or would I be better off just building a powered sub?

Thanks for any help,

Ralph

2. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

Is there a reason you don't want a powered sub? The only difference between a powered sub and having an amplified sub channel in a receiver is the physical location of the amplifier. To that point, I personally have never seen a receiver with an amplified sub output. Line level out to a separate sub amp, either in the sub cabinet or stand alone, is the status quo.
    Jonathan

3. RalphH

RalphH Auditioning

Actually, the main difference between a powered & non-powered sub is about $100 minimum. But you answered my question, and that's all I really wanted.

Thanks,

Ralph

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

A couple of years ago Technics had a model with a amped sub out. With the intro of multichannel beyond 5.1, this feature is probably no longer available.