Little help....Hdmi Direct TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by hotstang46, Sep 17, 2006.

1. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

Here's the situation...Just bought a new samsung plasma with hdmi inputs... my yamaha receiver however only has component outs.... So can I run the HDMI directly from the Direct TV box to the plasma to capitalize on better picture and Run the sound (rca's) from the Direct box to my receiver for the 5.1?

Just wanted to ask before investing in expensive cables figuring someone would know....thanks

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Chris - For optimal video and audio:

1. Connect HDMI directly from the DirecTV box to the plasma
    2. Connect Optical Audio or Digital Coax from the DirecTV box to the receiver, not RCA cabling

And there's no need to invest in expensive cables.. For instance, Monster Cable is marked up 500% or more. I would recommend purchasing from Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice.

3. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

wow fast answer thanks for the help, as you can tell I'm a relative newbie at this but trying to learn...

I see a digital audio optical out on the Direct TV and a Optical in on my yamaha. I didn't even really notice it Before....

I thank you for your help!!! I will be doing the HDMI to the plasma and utilize the optical for sound....THANKS!!! now to look into the optical cable...I will check the brands you have mentioned..[​IMG]

4. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

in fact I just noticed that on my dvd player too.....

I don't have hdmi on that though.... [​IMG] so I guess I'll have to run components to the receiver and then to the tv....although maybe i can pick up a dvd with an HDMI for really cheap, I'm sure they're reasonable....I've heard there's a big difference with the picture when it comes through the HDMI vs Component

5. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

If you're considering purchasing an Upconverting DVD Player, first ensure that your TV has two HDMI or DVI inputs. Otherwise you'll need to budget for either an HDMI switch, or a reciever cable of HDMI switching.

The best budget Upconverting DVD players on the market are the Oppo 970 and Oppo 971. Also take a look at the Denon DVD-1730 and Denon DVD-1930CI. The lower priced Upconverting DVD Players (under $100) won't likely provide a better picture quality over a Progressive Scan DVD player.

I would also invest in a capable Universal Remote such as the Logitech Harmony 880, otherwise it can become very confusing selecting the various sources on your receiver and television!

6. hotstang46

hotstang46 Extra

I thank you again for the help.....My samsung plasma has 2 hdmi's so that shouldn't be a problem. I will look into the DVD players you recomended and probably get one of them.....