Little Dorrit (1988) by Charles Dickens - any chance of a dvd release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alistair_M, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

This little seen Dickens classic is a wonderful film.

I'd love to see a dvd release of this film. The making of the film would be interesting too.

I loved the design of the film - it being in 2 parts - the first through the viewpoint of Mr Clennam and the 2nd part through the eyes of Little Dorrit. 6 hours of great Dickens.

Info on Little Dorrit:

Ebert review: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...12/329391.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095530/

2. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the request. I'm a sucker for Dickens on film, and Alec Guinness in just about any movie. Derek Jacobi and Joan Greenwood (her last role?) are icing on the cake.

3. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

4. DouglasBr

I believe it was released on laserdisc as well. There must be some market for it.

5. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

I dont think that we will see Little Dorritt soon. But readers of this thread may be interested that BBCAmerica will have a Dickens box(much like the Jane Austin set)
    out in the spring. Titles are unknown with the exception
    of Our Mutual Friend, but I am betting on Martin Chuzzlwith,Bleak House, Great expectations, Hard times
    and possibly Old Curiosity Shop. Recently WGBH has released
    the recent version of Oliver Twist, Copperfield and Expectations all containing the Masterpiece theater introduction. Other classic literature film adaptations
    to be released in the Spring are Jane Eyre(with Timoth Dalton.), Barchester Chronicles and He knew he was right. Hopefully some of you find this news of interest.
    Best
    Greg

6. DouglasBr

That's good news, Greg. Wish they'd get around to releasing the Louis Jourdan Count Dracula from the '70s (my favorite adaptation of that story). And I hope you're wrong about Little Dorrit, though unfortunately I have little reason to think you are. . . . Still, good to hear about the Dickens set.

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

This is one of those bizarre situations where it was a Cannon production (which would make it owned by MGM) but I think they sold the video rights to WB in exchange for more production money (a pyramid-like plan that Cannon used to live on for years). As such, I think Warner still controls this title for DVD, as they do BARFLY and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE.

Kind of a shame too, because if MGM owned this movie for DVD, I think we'd have a better chance of getting it out sooner than later.

8. olivier1624

olivier1624 Auditioning

Little Dorrit is coming...
    The long awaited DVD of "Nobody's Fault" and "Little Dorrit Story" is on its way...
    The films were released 21 years ago this December!

There is a mailing list for the many "fans of Little Dorrit"
    who wish to be informed about the DVD as it becomes available:
    send us a message: LittleDorrit @ sandsfilms.co.uk
    you can see the trailer on youtube and on sandsfilms web site

Little Dorrit is on its way...

9. bosque

bosque Agent

It's good that this film will be released on DVD and Alec Guiness did a fine job playing Mr Dorrit, one of the greatest literary creations (Dorrit also saves a dour book IMHO). The two parts were shown on different nights during its UK release which was pretty annoying because it meant two trips to London, the only city in the UK showing the movie at the time. I'm not a fan of the film. I hated the soundtrack above all with its choice of Verdi's Force Of Destiny. I couldn't reconcile an Italian opera as the background for an English novel. But - as with Branagh's Hamlet non-Brits may well take a different view.

10. PatH

PatH Second Unit

I'm not a big fan of this, either, though like The Magic Box, it gives just about every character actor in Britain at the time a turn before the camera. As to why I don't care for it, it plays as if the makers planted a camera center stage and had every actor parade there to say his lines. It makes no apparent effort to use the medium of the cinema to tell its story. And I'm not speaking of fancy things,either. Intercutting goes all the way back to D. W. Griffith; its use alone could have shorthened the six-hour length without doing damage to the story. I don't like padding, but I am not opposed to long films. Given appropriate bathroom breaks (so easy with DVD[​IMG] ), I'm more than happy to watch all three pieces of LOTR, which beats hell out of Little Dorrit, speaking lengthwise).

PatH

11. Greg Krewet

Little Dorritt will be part of the Dickens Celebration on Masterpiece Classic in 2009. DVDS of Little Dorritt, Old Curiosity Shop and Oliver Twist will be released by BBCAmerica after they are broadcast. Far from the Madding Crowd will come later on Masterpiece. No word on Lost in Austin, but I am expecting it to be released on Acorn DVD before the end of 2009.
    Best
    Greg

12. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

Greg, will the Masterpiece Classics version be the new Andrew Davies adaptation? If so, I think I'll wait to see that version before deciding to buy the 1988 one. I'm usually the first person to bleat on and on about preferring the older version of series (i.e. Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House) but I don't remember the older version very well and was very recently burned by buying another Sands production, a region 2 movie called "The Fool". I hated it, and thought it an incoherent mess.
    I'll probably Netflix the older version to refresh my memory of it prior to buying.

13. Greg Krewet

This is the Andrew Davies version and should run about 7 hours. They are running it in half hour segments in England, but will run it in longer segments here.

14. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

I'm a little disappointed that the old BBC version of "A Christmas Carol", starring Michael Hordern as Scrooge, hasn't seen the light of day, even as much as I LOVE the Alistair Sim version. I was hoping that when Little Dorrit was released (the new version which will be BBC not the Sands production) there would be a 3rd Dickens set with this, some version of Barnaby Rudge, A Tale of Two Cities, etc. on it--without which the Dickens cannon is still incomplete.

I don't know if any dramatizations of Dickens' ghost stories has been done, but some of them are great reading. I don't know how they would come across dramatized, but would like to see them included in a set.

15. Gary Couzens

Gary Couzens Stunt Coordinator

16. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

So, has anyone purchased the Derek Jacobi "Little Dorrit?" I'm dying to know how the video looks before I take the plunge for the region 2 which runs nearly $50 on Amazon.co.uk. I just watched my tape and the sound quality for it is terrible, so I'm interested in buying this dvd if the transfer is good.

17. jack phillips

Richard
    I bought a copy and was quite happy with it, although I've only played it on my PC so far. Still, I used to own a copy of the LD, and this seems a much better presentation image-wise. Don't really remember what the sound on the LD was like.