What's new

Little Bit of an Internet Explorer Icon Issue: Help Needed Please (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
When I had only 128 Megs of RAM, I had a Dell tech speed things up by changing the colorful icons next to my favorites, such as the NBC peacock. That left just an "e" next to each item. Now that I have 1 Gig of RAM I would like to restore the colorful symbols.

Anyone know the fix for this?

Thanks

Happy Holidays

PS Apparently I have to clear my cache to fix this and I want to be recognized at all of the sites I use. It is my understanding that I will lose those that recognition, for example, at newspapers, shopping sites, even HTF, if I clear my cache.

Am I wrong about this?

Thanks again.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Arthur,

The feature you're referring to is called "favorite icons" and it first appeared in IE version 5.0. I'm not sure how the Dell guy turned this feature off, but the freeware program "FavOrg" manages this feature.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s/favorg.shtml

I've never used this program (I'm a Firefox guy anyway) but that link should help you out.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Rob

I downloaded the program and for some reason it could only identify a couple of my favorites. No harm was done.

Happy Holidays

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Clearing your cache will be fine, that just clears page info and graphics and such. If you clear your cookies, then you have to resign back in to all the places you go and read and shop.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dennis*G

Thank you very much. Even though I spend too much time surfing, I am still not quite clear about what it means to lose page information and graphics and such.

Would you please be kind enough to explain in a little bit more detail what that would do to my surfing experiences?

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

PS Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Art

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Arthur -- ultimately it may not matter. Unless it's been fixed recently, Internet Explorer doesn't properly manage the little "favorite icons" that various webpages use. Even if you restore them, IE will lose them in short order. This is a long standing bug. It's also something that Firefox does correctly.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I believe you can just revisit the site and it should update the icon. This happens to me every now and then. Revisiting seems to fix the issue.Maybe it's not a bug - I assumed that the favicons are only stored in the cahce and get deleted after a period of time (i.e. from your internet setting) just as your history gets deleted after so many days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mark, I believe it's a bug. I struggled with this a few years back, when I was dabbling with web design. Revisiting a page in general does not restore the favicon. The research I did at the time indicated that it's a minor, but known weakness.

Compare it to Firefox, which doesn't lose the favicons, always displaying them regardless of how long it's been since visiting a site.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Art,

The cache just holds icons and graphics and such so it can load them from your computer instead of redownloading them from the webpage. Back in the dial up days this was a necessity, if you have broadband, it really makes no difference as the page can redownload the images on a page so quick, you would hardly notice any difference.

As for the icons, I have found that IE7 seems to have fixed the bug as my icons have remained for a few months now.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, especially Dennis*G

I am working on an important little project right now, but I plan on clearing my cache. I'm a little unsure about installing IE7. I don't seem to have any problems with IE6 and when I had the favicons I didn't have a problem till I had Dell change my settings.

Thanks again, and happy holidays.

Art

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

My Firefox sometimes decides to take an icon from one bookmarked site and add it to others in my bookmarks. The icon situation isn't perfect yet! I'd like an extension for Firefox that would revisit all my bookmarked sites and look for and use any icon(s) it finds.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi everyone. I installed IE7 and it seems like I still haven't gotten my favicons back. I cleared my cache before installing IE7, should I clear my cache again? Not sure how to do that without deleting my cookies.

Thanks In Advance

Happy New Year

PS Thanks to everyone for their help. With the installation of IE7 my favicons were restored...I just wish that more of my crazy number of favorites had favicons.

Happy New Year

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks