What's new

Little Big Planet (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Quite normal" to sing the Qur'an - artist News // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

" Speaking to the BBC's News at Ten TV programme, Toumani Diabate, the Malian singer of the music track that has caused the delay to LittleBigPlanet's release, has defended his lyrics.

Diabate, a Muslim himself, doesn't see the problem. "It's quite normal to play music and be inspired by the words of the prophet Mohammed," he told the BBC. "It's my way to attract and inspire people towards Islam." "

Anyway, the game is out at least in Europe on 5th November.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to sound racist or say anything bad about Islam, but do you remember what happened after those Mohammad cartoons showed up in a Danish newspaper? I'm sure Sony wanted to avoid that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The whole thing just smacks of giving in. The idea of a patch that you could download that gives you the option makes infinitely more sense.

If everyone is going to contantly walk on eggshells about the product they put out with group A, then every other group will protest on how offended they are about B, and you never get anything to market.

Slippery slope. I plan on forming a giant protest around "Wii Music" because the inclusion of "Baa Baa Blacksheep" carries with it racist connotations, and I demand a full recall before the thing hits the shelf.

Good grief. Just let people have the option. I'm not of that faith, don't care, but if that's how the artist originally recorded whatever it is, as long as it doesn't suck, I'd prefer the original version vs. the hacked. So, will Sony allow people to download and use the original version in game?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Not that I condone the overreaction to those cartoons, but there is a pretty huge difference between respectfully quoting a Koran verse in a song and publishing cartoons that viciously mock Mohammad.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I think Sony probably overreacted on this one; at the same time, Media Molecule had a producer (or multiple producers) working on this project for two or more years, any one of which SHOULD have caught this as a potential problem. (It's what we're paid to do.)

This will cost Sony millions to change, although they'll get a huge amount of free publicity over it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Then again, there was outrage about this song before the game was even released. I think Sony just didn't want to incite an international event against one of the largest religions in the world.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with almost everything that's been said here about how it seems to be an overreaction. At the same time, it's easy for me to tell the people producing this game that they ought to stand on principle, as I have no vested interest other than a desire to play.

Sony and Media Molecule are doing what they can to protect the investment of time and money they've made, and to protect the potential profit they'll get if the game does well. They're going to pay a short-term price for lack of diligence in catching this earlier, sure, but after a few months the game will have failed or succeeded, and there just aren't that many people who are going to remember this delay.

And as to whether the presence of the lyric would have offended anyone, it makes me think back to that silliness about "sex scene" in Mass Effect. The 24-hour news cycle sniffed out something (nonexistent) to fill some time, and blew a non-issue into a story (not an effective or accurate one, but still). Maybe the lyric and it's use in the game would have been inoffensive - but I'd be willing to bet that the actual matter of it would have been left in the dust by the hysterical ranting pro- or anti-, etc.

Anyway, I'm still ready to buy day 1, whenever that may be.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Little Big Planet is out today.
I can get it now, but too tired from work.
I'll be getting it tomorrow.

If you pre-ordered it like I did from Gamestop
you get this God of War pack
*3 costumes
*In game sticker
*Level design pack

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

There´s 1.02 update for the game that "fixes" this music-issue, but not sure that do you actually *have to* update the game before playing it... If you actually *have to* update the game (1.02), then where people will need these "pre-recall" versions?

I already have the full version (working on a review) and I did the 1.02 update for it. I have to say, that honestly the instrumental track suits perfectly for that particular area. At least I don´t feel that it needs any vocals.. I love the instrumental song.
Edit: You can hear the "full song" here (it´s also very good):

Btw. Just excellent game and a beauty to watch. This game comes very much recommended. Suddenly some of the other platformers feel a bit dated now.. ;)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just got home with my game.
Installing the God of war stickers and costumes

I'm also downloading the new patch.

Remember there is also an EXCLUSIVE spaceman suit for the first week ONLY when you play online. So if you have the game, go online with the game and get that limited costume.

If anyone wants a Little Big Planet party playing, Im vegasbosko

I'll be curious to hear more of your thoughts Jari

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks