What's new

Little Big Planet (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Anyone else going to be getting this for PS3?
This looks like it's going to be the must have game.
Interesting graphics, soothing music, and great creativity.

Still reading about what this game has to offer.
But it looks like we will all be able to get together and play and explore each others levels we've created?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Must have game. I just read one early review, and it was 10/10. Looking forward to it..

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've played the BETA of LBP this week (ends tonight) and I have to say that this is one killer application. I have seen my five grandkids (ages 6-11) play it in open eyed amazement and for once their parents had to admit that this was one game that they didn't see any problem with the kids using on a long term basis. Even they (in their mid-40s) took a turn at the controls for this limited taste of the final product. And, of course, Grandpa was duly impressed with the whole scenario.

Obviously this will be in my house on Day One. I get the feeling that if this highly creative game experience had been ready for prime time when the PS3 was released then maybe the launch of the hardware would have been a little less rocky.

The PS3 has always been a great Blu-ray player. Now it is definitely closing the gap as far as gaming is concerned.

A big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for the BETA version. Eagerly awaiting the whole package.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to this, and it caught my fiancee's eye as well. Normally I'm not into cute platformers like this, but the applications sound intriguing. I'll definitely be picking it up (in the middle of this ruinously expensive month--Dead Space, Fable II, Fallout 3...)

--Jefferson Morris

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait for this one. I listen to a couple of gaming podcasts weekly, and they've been talking this up for months. I didn't get in on the beta, but I've seen some pretty good youtube videos of the things people have done with it. As I'm usually long on enthusiasm and short on ideas, I don't know that I'll end up designing anything that anyone else would want to play, but I'm excited by the prospect of playing with the stuff other people come up with.

Also, with a 6-year-old in the house, I'm anxious to let her loose in that kind of environment and see where her creativity takes her.

I'm hoping that this will end up being a killer app for the PS3, and not just a neat curiousity for the enthusiasts.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Well Christopher, the "sample size" in my household consisted of people ranging in age from 6 to 66 and there was universal approval for the uniqueness of this title. While the Beta was very limited in nature (at least during the 4 days that we were allowed to play with the software before Sony shut the door Saturday night) it certainly gave a flavor of what is possible. One of my grandsons probably put it best when he declared that LBP was a lot like a Mario Brothers platformer except, "A lot cooler!" As soon as he said that I realized that he hit the nail on the head. Not only does it offer some nice challenges but the way that the physics engine works makes it all seem a lot more realistic rather than cartoonish (if one chooses to call characters made out of nicely textured materials "realistic"). ;) The mechanics are a lot more exact than in a Super Mario Brothers game and everything about it offers a much more realistic challenge in my opinion. I was suitably impressed.

And while I didn't get a chance to play around with the "creating your own" aspect of LBP I would imagine that one would be only limited by one's own creativity and imagination since the tools seem to be extensive. I really think that as soon as the game is widely released there will be all sorts of new worlds uploaded to the Sony servers and it will quickly be known which are the most clever and entertaining ones. The structure is already in place for players to rate the submitted levels ("cool," "hard," "clever," ingenious," etc. etc. etc.) so the cream will undoubtedly rise to the top. In other words, don't worry about your own ability to design levels - there will surely be a huge amount of such things ready to incorporate into your own play even if you never ever design a level on your own.

I equate a lot of this with what happened with the 3G iPhone and 2G iTouch. As soon as the application platforms were opened to developers the floodgates opened and there are now literally thousands of exceptional applications out there for the iPhone/iTouch. Even though I live in NY (where AT&T cellular is less than stellar so I can't see myself getting an iPhone) I immediately jumped all over the 32gig 2G iTouch the day it was released and it has become an extremely valuable and entertaining addition to my electronic arsenal. To me, LBP has the potential of adding applications and levels in a similar way within the gaming environment.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like I'll be very pleased with the title. I can't wait!

I appreciate the detailed write-up, Robert, it's good to hear that the game plays that well, and I'm always happy when I can get a game that I'm excited about, knowing that it will be popular with the rest of the household, too.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think if you reserve it at Gamestop, you can get a special Gods of War Kratos costume with it.

and watching one of the Youtube vidoe with a Sony guy demonstrating it, showing just how many levels are planned for it(which is numerous)
is just amazing.
This just might be the game to keep all the people wanting the ever delayed Home application very busy and happy.

We just might have to get an official HTF LBP thread group together.
For all of our online times and keep us up to date what we've made and designed.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Yeah, but Burlap?!?

At 66, my skin's much closer to that texture than yours, Aaron!

:laugh: :laugh:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, this game doesn't really interest me that much. The whole user-generated-content idea never really struck a chord with me. The best use of it, IMO, was in Spore because it was seamless (the game downloads creatures from other gamers and populates planets with them). Stuff like create-a-character, level creators, etc. don't really interest me much. I know that LBP is much more than that, but the remade Super Mario Bros. videos I've seen online, in addition to the other videos, pictures, articles, etc. that I've looked didn't really sway me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Who cares? Wow, a few lines from the Koran with some music. Now that is something to get bent out of shape over. I hope Sony makes sure that they never make movies or TV shows with language or references that are offensive to another major religion that starts with a C. This is getting to be stupid already. They should try growing a pair and just release it. What the hell ever happened to the concept of free speech in North America?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The publishers of the game already have a patch 0 ready to give us to hide the offensive lyrics, but Sony told them no, that the right thing to do is to make it correct, since not everyone has an Internet connection.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, I just received a note from Amazon that my order for LBP has been "delayed." Looks like it won't be arriving while I'm in L.A. I guess that based on what was supposedly in the lyrics SONY had no choice. The real question that SONY should be asking is, "Who let this through in the first place?"

'Nuff said. I don't intend to get into a political or religious discussion here because that's definitely outside of HTF guidelines.

When LBP gets here, it gets here. Let's not forget that Fable II is due out soon and Fallout 3 isn't far behind. Lots of games for the gamers. All that this does is shuffle the pile a bit.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Yeah, that's the real cool thing is that Oct 21st was a nice game day.

I also had Eternal Sonata and Bioshock to get and play.

So while I'm waiting for LBP, I'll be playing the very nice looking Bioshock.

Don't forget when LPB does come out, they still will be offering that free spaceman suit for the first week only(new release week)of the games launch and direct downloads to add to the game the first day of launch.

I'm very curious to see how much money this unaltered version goes for on Ebay as some people got their game today, from an import website in that article.

And from the website http://littlebigplanet.us.playstation.com/
MM will se shipping the fixed versions ofLittle Big Planet Oct 27th.
Not too bad
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

and here is the trophies list for the trophy earners.
48 to earn

http://www.ps3-trophies.com/en/troph...lanet-lbp.html

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The other thing too is that this piece of music was licensed.
It's not like it was made up just for this game and was mocking someone/somebody.

There are conflicting reports about the release date.
Oct 28th or Nov 4th.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
What the..????

I don't get it. Why would they recall it? Offensive stuff is all over the place againt pretty much every other religion out there. Is it because of the games rating or just due to political correctness?

If they had to recall every game/movie that misused Jesus' name or insulted Jews...wow.

*clunk*...ow...my brain just fell over in confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks