What's new

Little advice please. (1 Viewer)

AV GEEK

Auditioning
Real Name
JAMIE
Hi all for the past 10 years I have been using the Yamaha RX-V640RDS 6.1 and it has been an excellent amp and still going strong but sadly I need to upgrade to an amp with HDMI's because everything goes through my amp i.e sky ,projector,xbox etc, I am very interested in buying the Onkyo 609 , my current speakers are fronts mission 702e front center mission 70 rears jamo studio 170 rear center yamaha nsc90 downward firing active jamo subwoofer quite mis match I know but has kept me happy for years, Anyways my question is my speakers are a little old and quite tired now I feel, so any recommendations on what speakers and sub will sound as good if not better on the onkyo 609 would be greatly appreciated. thankyou.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Can you give some kind of budget range? We're more than happy to spend all of your money, if you let us :) . I don't know anything about Mission speakers. Can describe the type of sound they emit? Warm? neutral? bright? etc. It's really hard to recommend speakers because like our own thing. I usually give a few of the most poplular brands and a few that are the best value at the time. Feel free to wander arounf the speaker forum to see what's normally recommended.

AV GEEK

Auditioning
Real Name
JAMIE
Hi Gene C thanks for reply, the missions give out a very nice warm sound one of the best set of speakers out at the time when I bought them which was about 10 years ago if they sound good on the Onkyo I may keep them and give them a overhaul not sure yet. Not to sure on a budget just yet if speakers that are recommended warrant a certain amount and will do the job I would pay that amount but if there is speakers around with the same quality in sound with a cheaper price tag thats good also. I fully understand it is hard to recommend speakers as we all like it to sound different to the next person I like it warm but full on if you get me.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Speakers that are on the warm side (IMO) are SVS, AperionAudio, AscendAcoustics, Infinity and Energy. Those are just the one's I've heard (and remember). Some of those are 4 ohm which I wouldn't recommend with the 609. But of course, there are many, many others. I'd look for something with a soft dome tweeter. I have Swan Diva's which are a bit on the bright side (but not too much) mostly because of the top mounted tweeter (ala, B & W) and Infinity beta's which are pretty soft and warm. But the tweeter comes alive when needed. Wander around the speaker forum for more options.

AV GEEK

Auditioning
Real Name
JAMIE
My center is actually a Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO so that shows you how long ago i looked at the back of my speakers i forgot it was an acoustic lol, Was thinking of putting some mission mx3 and mx1 on this amp keeping my acoustic as center and getting the Velodyne CHT-8Q as sub my dilema now is bipolar as sides or normal bookshelves?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks