What's new

Lithium calculator batteries (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My graphic calculator, an older Casio needs 2 CR2032 batteries, which turn out to be Lithium batteries. Any reason for that since I know lithium batteries tend to be more expensive than your regular watch/calculator kind of batteries. I've bought Renata brand from RadioShack but a little web searching shows that Duracell makes some, but they are also Lithium. Is there a particular reason for this?

Jay

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Lithium provides the highest capacity (ampere-hours or "Ah") per unit weight of all metals, making it an ideal material for a lithium anode. Lithium systems offer distinct advantages over other battery systems, especially with respect to long life, reliability and capacity.

A lithium power source offers a significant advantage if:

A high voltage is needed (i.e. 3.0 to 3.9v per cell).
A recharging circuit is not available or too costly.
The power source has to be as lightweight as possible.
Long shelf life is required.
A wide temperature range is required.
Reliability is crucial.
Extremely high energy density is needed.
Environmental concerns such as temperature, vibration or shock are especially severe.
Your application demands a continuous source of power for extensive periods of time.

Superior metals are required for long life when the battery in question is so small.

Most small watch batteries and batteries like them are almost always lithium now.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, my only experience with lithium batteries is in terms of cold winter hiking. I have plenty of times when the temp is in the teens or single digits and the NiMH or alkaline batteries will die in my digicam when I'm out hiking or backpacking. I know the lithium batteries are the solution for that or a smart use of insulating the camera until needed. But its not like I'm taking my calculator out hiking with me and I know lithium AA batteries are expensive, or at least more than alkalines.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks